Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 11-15-2005, 11:06 AM   #21
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Crank sensor

Cam sensor

You are 100% positive the cams are timed correct right?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #22
AnderbrA
GLS member

AnderbrA is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to AnderbrA Send a message via Yahoo to AnderbrA
wow finally some resolution....took it down to the dealership finally.....they did the exact same thing that we did.

they checked all the ignition system....all diagnostics passed, everything appearred to be good.

one of the service technicians had a vehicle with the same motor...they swapped out the top end(IDI cover) and my car ran perfectly.....so something in that whole assembly is bad...

here is the confusing thing.... cylinder 1 and 3 are not firing consistantly, but as the coils work, 1 and 4 are on one and 2 and 3 are on one....so it cannot be one of the coils....

they swapped out the coil assembly and didnt get any results, so they are tearing apart the whole assembly and troubleshoot it piece by piece rather than throwing parts at it....should find out today what the exact problem is. They are thinking one of the circuits is fried someplace. Either in the harness or in the ignition module, since that is the only thing that is left except the 2 coils.

www.anderbrainnovations.com

07 Cadillac STS V8
07 Mitsubishi Galant ES
00 Olds Alero - Parts
02 Lincoln LS V8 Sport - RIP
AnderbrA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #23
keepitsimple

sweet glad to hear u almost all set
Old 11-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #24
AnderbrA
GLS member

spoke too soon, they thought that was it, but only let it run for a couple seconds so it still has the problem

service technician said it has no vacuum at the intake. No leaks.....he said it has to be something mechanical...he tore the head apart to check the valves etc...everything was fine....so the only other thing he thought it might be is the oil pressure valve getting stuck causing it to have extremely high oil pressure making the valves not seat all the way.....

he checked that today and everything is fine with it....

so back to the drawing board.....he insists there is a problem with the valve train.

any ideas....they have exhausted their resources....

07 Cadillac STS V8
07 Mitsubishi Galant ES
00 Olds Alero - Parts
Old 11-23-2005, 08:31 PM   #25
Super White Alero

Bryce pm me your email I will send you the diagonstic procedure.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #26
AnderbrA
GLS member

they dont know whats causing it...the only thing they said that was left was to tear apart the engine....it was a fresh rebuild professionally.....

I am having them try 2 things still....

replace fuel pressure regulator
flash my spare PCM and install it.(in case it is a computer issue)

07 Cadillac STS V8
07 Mitsubishi Galant ES
00 Olds Alero - Parts
Old 11-29-2005, 07:52 PM   #27
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
what cams did you use? maybe throw back in the stock cams. also replace the intake manifold( possible cracked) and have head rechecked for cracks.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #28
AnderbrA
GLS member

They checked for leaks and cracks...nothin there....i used the cam swap cams....they worked fine at first.

95 intake
93 exhaust

07 Cadillac STS V8
07 Mitsubishi Galant ES
00 Olds Alero - Parts
Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #29
keepitsimple

so u think its the cams?, has anyone else who did the swap had a prob?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #30
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by keepitsimple@Nov 30 2005, 01:47 PM
so u think its the cams?, has anyone else who did the swap had a prob?

my cam swap went great and the motor loves the cams.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:57 PM   #31
Oldsman
Owner

so lets see here............

they swapped out IDI cover and car ran good then they tried just coils but NG. i take it they tried just module and NG. now if they changed the IDI and it ran good something rest or something was reading correctly til it got a bad signal. did you ever change out the cam sensor? maybe try putting the stock intake cam in to see if the sensor can read the stock cam fine but maybe the gap between the sensor and pickup point is too much and doesn't read accurate.

now if a senor is reading wrong it would have the computer doing funky stuff and screw up timing to were vacuum would be screwed up. have you double and triple check the cam timing? is the tensioner working right.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #32
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
HMMM...
THe car only ran good for a few seconds with the IDI swapped out, possibly due to the computer resting when the batt was disconnected. I would test the cam sensor before replacing it. Also the crank sensor is more involved in the timing algos i've seen, and that is fresh (not that that is a guarantee of a working part). Even if it was screwing up timing it would have some vacuum, a running engine produces vacuum. Is the TB working smoothly and adjusted correctly? What are your compression numbers?

If you have the same two cylinders not firing and the other two are, focus on those cycls. It sounds like the valvetrain was checked and then rechecked. I would NOT have em pull the engine apart again at this point. esp if you have good compression and oil press. its probably not the bottom end; and IF cyls 1 and 3 are not firing, even with a diff IDI assm. then its probably an issue in the harness, PCM or plugs, definetaly in the ignition system, including its sensors, NOT mechanical.

Now if they are firing you may want to look at your injectors and make sure they are spraying those cyls, not a difficult thing to check. Also retake your fuel pressure at the rail. It sounds like the problem is in the ignition or possibly in the fuel system.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #33
AnderbrA
GLS member

ok I had them replace the fuel pressure regulator and use my spare ecu and flashed it....everything is still the same.

to recap....EVERYTHING that we have done so far has had NO RESULT.

The only think I can think of that is left is bring the stock cams in and have them swap them.

Scott and Eddie, give me a call and I will go through things in detail with you.

07 Cadillac STS V8
07 Mitsubishi Galant ES
00 Olds Alero - Parts