Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 05-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
Talon69ca

I was wondering if anyone else was having any probs with their factory paint...I mean I realize that vehicles are prone to stone chips but my car is ridiculous...the hood looks like somebody shot it with a shotgun from about 30feet away... not to mention that about a three foot section fell off from under the hood and is now coming up over the hood and its not just clearcoat chips this is right down to bare metal...about a year ago somebody hit the hood with an egg and where the shell hit all the paint chipped off to bare metal...same with fenders doors and quaters...all to bare metal...I bought the car from a used lot but my brother was telling me that Dodge replaced the hood on his Cirrus twice for this same thing (also purchased used) apparently they offer a 7 year guarantee against paint defects...does GM offer anything similar or is it like everything else that GM does not back? Originally I was not concerned about the paint as we had a colour change planned but a new house sunk that ship...any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
ppgnut

well it doesnt sound like it was re painted which that would cause your problem, but it does need to be sanded down and re painted
better yet get me a pic i cna help ya out more
Old 05-27-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
Talon69ca

Trying to get a digcam to take a better pic but I'm pretty sure that the best bet would be to sandblast the entire hood because the chips are so deep and so big I was just wondering what kind of corrosion protection GM offered. I'll try and see how the pics from my cam phone work out.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #4
Talon69ca

eggchip...
Old 05-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
robz02alero
GL Member

robz02alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to robz02alero
I have some chips on my car but nothing to drastic because it is a daily driver. Looks like your gonna have to repaint dude, good luck
COMING HOME SOON
robz02alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
ppgnut

well back in the 80`s and early 90`s manufactures used water based material and the paint would just come off in sheets
but thats not your case at all, that is just chip after chip rust formed so you will need to have the hood repaired
sand blasting is the correct way but that is such minor rust no need for something so extensive
i would charge ya 500 to repair the hood
Old 05-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Talon69ca

Hey this may be covered by GM after all not gonna get my hopes up yet but I found this

GM Corrorsion Coverage
Old 05-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
Talon69ca

Nevermind was told today by GM that they only repair rust that has turned into a hole...
issed:
Old 05-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Yup... my hook looks exactly the same. I'm getting a new on this Wednesday. I think I have to pay $100, but the rest is covered up to 100k miles. The deductible was because it wasn't a hole, but the edge of the hood wasn't ever going to rust through, and it's obvious that the problem was moisture trapped in the pinch weld rusting
Old 05-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
First off, egg oxides paint, so it doesn't surprise me that the paint is comming off there.

I think you're just going to have to re-paint the car

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
Talon69ca

The egg did not have time to oxides the paint the paint chipped off when the egg hit
Old 05-30-2006, 07:55 PM   #12
Spitfire

wow, bummer dude