Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 07-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
HID light problem-light flickering

I installed my set of HIDs from Ryan from Ohio last night and they look great. I'm driving Angel around today and go to pull into my garage and I notice that only the right HID headlight is flickering. I pull all the way in, put it into drive, lights go out then pop back on with full power-no flickering. So I'm baffled. But I can't afford to have my headlights going on on me mid-drive.

Anyone experience this before and have a solution? The other light is rock steady. Don't know why this one side is acting up. I've rechecked to make sure everything is connected securely but I just don't know.

I have a theory: when I switch the lights on-no problem and if I pull into my darker garage the flickering stops as well-though only after I put it into park, they shut off, then come back on. But I wonder if during the day my day-time running lights mode doesn't supply enough power to get both of them fully up and going. Usually one is constant, one flickers, or they both are out.

Thoughts?

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 07-01-2010 at 02:34 PM.
XanderWiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Also, my security light stayed on one time. Gone now and hasn't come back with a few startups but it freaked me out. I have an automatic starter as well so I wonder if the charges are getting out of wack.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
There's a special wiring harnes u can get for the flickering, its like 15 bucks.
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Kind of broad...but it did come with a converter that mounts. I thought that would regulate it efficiently. There is the HID light that connects to the converter/ballast. And then another line from the ballast/converter that connects to where the stock bulb used to be plugged in. I'm not sure what more harnessing could be handled lol
Old 07-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Occasionally my driver's side will flicker then cut out, or just cut out completely. (sometimes its hard to notice, since they are so effn bright)

I just click the lights off then on and it kicks back on. I figure its a bad connection in there somewhere, i just haven't had the time/remembered to look.

but i have richie's... so i'm not sure if theres a difference. My passanger one is SOLID.

also... coincidentally, the driver one also has a loose grommet. (where we have to cut the rubber to get the wires through. i cut the whole too big. I wonder if that is causing a bit of a problem.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
Occasionally my driver's side will flicker then cut out, or just cut out completely. (sometimes its hard to notice, since they are so effn bright)

I just click the lights off then on and it kicks back on. I figure its a bad connection in there somewhere, i just haven't had the time/remembered to look.

but i have richie's... so i'm not sure if theres a difference. My passanger one is SOLID.

Is this your daytime running lights or lights on in general? I only get the flickering when my lights are set to auto. In the years I've owned my car I've maybe turned the lights on 3 times because it has the light sensor to adjust them for me. Both of mine are solid when lights are turned on. Flickering to off in daytime mode...which is distracting. I don't want to be pulled over for having a strobe light headlight.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
i disabled my DRLs... like your suppose to with HID

and i leave them on "auto"
Old 07-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Oh heck. How do you do that?

Cherry come back! Elp Mah!

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 07-01-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

search man. SEARCH!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

It wasn't in the idiot proof guide smurf put out! I'm the idiot in all of this! Haha

I found it. But the pics have been removed...less than helpful now lol.

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 07-01-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Alrighty, shame on me for not using the search button. I just pulled the number 22 relay. Should I be concerned about just pulling it and leaving it?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
it will most likely just throw a service vehicle soon light
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alero_bmxer View Post

And I alleviate this how? Just tested it: no problems yet. But I really hate warning lights...cause me stress. It still has the auto function where it turns the lights on in dark but now my drl's don't work-whoopee doo. If I'm gonna get hit, I doubt some dim lights in the middle of the day will prevent it.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
be careful the auto lamps will cause some funky things to happen with the ballast's. when i first got mine and installed it was dark out so when i turned the car on they turned on for a split second then cut off due to the engine turning over and somehow that fried one of the ballast's
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Did you have the kit from Ryan? It seems pretty sound and safe. Made of good quality and whatnot.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #16
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
And I alleviate this how? Just tested it: no problems yet. But I really hate warning lights...cause me stress. It still has the auto function where it turns the lights on in dark but now my drl's don't work-whoopee doo. If I'm gonna get hit, I doubt some dim lights in the middle of the day will prevent it.

mine is still in place, i just bent one of the pins. i read which on here somewhere... i don't remember which. works for me. same result. no lights either.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #17
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I saw where you said you bent pin 87. But looking at the relay it is hard to tell from the diagram which one exactly is 87. But if I only lose lights...during daylight...I'm fine with that lol.

Let this be another one for the search archive. Should be easier to search for than the others though.

In essence: to solve flickering lights with HIDs: remove relay number 22 to stop DRL. You can locate the position of the number 22 relay by looking at the back of the engine fuse box cover, which also houses relay 22. The light flickers because DRLs are a lower output that cannot power HIDs and thus, they look like strobe lights.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Ok so its not an issue with your kit then? Just a matter of use?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

No. The kit was awesome man. Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #20
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
Alrighty, shame on me for not using the search button. I just pulled the number 22 relay. Should I be concerned about just pulling it and leaving it?

Quote:

That's only if your low-beams are the DRLs.

Quote:
be careful the auto lamps will cause some funky things to happen with the ballast's. when i first got mine and installed it was dark out so when i turned the car on they turned on for a split second then cut off due to the engine turning over and somehow that fried one of the ballast's

You can alleviate this problem by using the parking brake. I do anyways because I have a 5-speed.

Also, adding a relay harness usually fixes it too. I did that on my mom's truck and now it works flawlessly every time.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote