Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-23-2005, 01:31 AM   #1
SirNotAppearing

Well i guess this wouldn't be my first project because i just completed the installation of some new brakes (brembo rotors, ceramic pads). I had a lot of fun doing that, and i wanted my next project to be something more performance oriented. I've heard lots of scattered opinions amongst the posts on this forum as to which option is better for the 3400, but i haven't really heard any definitive explanations on how much of an actual effect this will have on my driving experience. With either i cai or wai, will i be able to feel a noticable difference over stock?

Also, on another note, I've heard of the possibility of making a combination of a Wai and Cai, meaning you have a short intake with the filter, then have some kind of tubing or similar device letting cooler air flow into the engine compartment. Has anyone successfully completed such a hybrid setup? If so, do you have any pointers as to where i should start?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2005, 07:08 AM   #2
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
dont know about the second part, but buy the wai from me and support the site. let me know...
Old 11-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
firstson
GX Member

firstson is an unknown quantity at this point
speakin of which double0...how are those comin, are you getting any closer to selling?
firstson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Menace is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Menace
Wouldnt it be better to get a cai ?

2007 Scion tC in driveway!!

Stuff for sale

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13919
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I've used both CAI and WAI, and from what I experienced, the WAI gave me good low end power, and falls off on the high end. Just the opposite with my CAI: Not quite as spunky at the low end, but goes bonzo midrange to high end.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
SirNotAppearing

hey double0alero, where could i find more info about buying a wai or cai from you? pics, pricing, ect.?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
cobra621

^^ I'd also like the info about buying the WAI
Old 11-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
SirNotAppearing

hmmm, i was looking around on this site:

http://www.doctorspeed.com/grand_am/...m-intakes.html

scrolling all the way to the bottom, i see a setup for a cold air box. would this fit the alero as well? and if it fits, will it work as well? say for instance, is there any difference in the engine compartment that will make this less effective in an alero?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
SirNotAppearing

ah nevermind i just realized that its in the alero section too.

anyways, has anyone tried this, and what are your opinions about it?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:00 PM   #10
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
You will have everything that you need from me by the end of this weekend...as long as everything goes as planned. Basically if you look at Dr. Speed, our cai will look the same...but the wai will be different. It may be a couple bucks more than dr speed, but it replaces everything up to the throttle body so it gets rid of that stock black piece there...along with it all you get directions on removing the stock airbox the whole way down into the fender.
Please be patient, things have been crazy nuts at my house this past few weeks, but getting back to normal now..

oh and i forgot to mention the most important part...prices will be cheaper than dr speed AND the site makes the profits, not some guy behind a computer
Old 11-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
If the WAI you're looking at, or Cold Air "box" doesn't replace all the current intake pieces, then stay away from it. Factory intake parts do nothing to enhance your performance.

Go with double0alero's model since it replaces all that restrictive crap....and like he says....support your fellow Aleromodders

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:41 PM   #12
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
heh...my WAI seems to be more beneficial to my high end...along with my exhaust. :shrug:

edit: forgot I was in the V6 section...oops
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:19 AM   #13
SirNotAppearing

it seems that this cold air box essentially isolates the filter cone from the majority of the engine compartment, except the fenderwell passage. heres the link to the alero one:

http://www.doctorspeed.com/alero/alero-intakes.html

they dont quote any numbers on horsepower or torque gains, though they note that the power curve is enhanced on all rpm's.

also, it looks as if the whole stock intake is replaced.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:36 AM   #14
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

if you're looking at the stage 1, look at that factory ribbed stuff...what we make here is actually more like the stage 2. They charge 119 for that...we will be charging half that...our stage 3 will be about that price...so stay tuned. We're going to tear my car apart this weekend and take the measurements that we need to get this show on the road.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I was talking about how I convert my CAI to a WAI by just disconnecting the elbow and putting a filter on the short pipe.

It may be possible to do both. Maybe with a speical filter, or there is a " Y " intake pipe out there that you could do one pipe CAI and the other WAI. It's a plastic pipe and on Summit racing, but I've only seen it once

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #16
SirNotAppearing

scroll all the way down on the page and you will see what i am talking about. im not talking about the wai on the top of the page. it is below the cai, and looks like a new thing.