Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-20-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
wy3134

I am installing a new aftermarket head unit and wanna run power off of my distribution block, so that I can turn my radio or cds on at any time regardless if my car is on. What I need to know is, are the speakers powered through the head unit, or are they hooked up some other way for power? thanks for the help
Old 04-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Speakers are powered from the headunit unless you have an amp or something like that.
Instead of running a wire from you distribution block you could just connect the red and yellow wires together from the radio wiring harness. Yellow has a constant connection to the battery. It's the wire that keeps your clock and radio settings after the car is turned off. And if I'm not mistaking the red wire is basically just a turn on wire. Much like the remote wire on an amp. I wouldn't do this as I like knowing that when I turn off my car my radio turns off to
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
jiffy

Just my .02

Now, I'm certainly no audio god, and I am quite the newbie when it comes to installs, but IMO, if you don't know that speaker wires are run out from the HU, you might want to reconsider doing this project by yourself.

I know this isn't actually a big project, but still make sure you are very familiar with what you will need to do once your dash is apart, and try to get someone who knows what they are doing to be there to give u a hand (or do it themselves).
Old 04-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
It is still a valid question concidering some cars utilize a monsoon amplifier. If your car does not have a amplifier the HU supplies the wattage directly to the speaker. If you have a monsoon amp (located behind the carpet of the left hand side of the trunk) then the HU's wattage is being passed indirectly to the speakers. The wattage will come out of the HU at around 11 watts and be amplified through the monsoon before going to the speakers. Since the monsoon amp is not turned on via the HU, it may be possible that another switched 12 volt source needs to be ran to it. If you do have the monsoon, it might be better to talk to black03. It seems like he had a pinout of the amp connector. Otherwise do a search for monsoon amp or aftermarket installation.
Don't be afraid to ask. I can gurantee that someone else has had the same questions.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
wy3134

install complete! will do a review