Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 10-13-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
elitecloud
GL Member

elitecloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to elitecloud
when i crank the car, the engine is clicking, clicking accelerates once i increase the gas

slowly stops after 10 or so minutes of driving, deff comming from the engine and i don't feel it is of any result of the cai i put on a month or so ago, or the new filter i put on yesterday

i hope it's nothing major, i just got a job in AZ, from Louisiana cuz of the hurricane so iam about to move and need this car

help guys please

2006 Toyota X-Runner
elitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Valve Tick?
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
check your power steering pump
mines been clicking for a couple years now
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
elitecloud
GL Member

what problems would arise from a valve tick Vtolds? costs / labor off the top of your head

and is there any way for me, non mechanic to check the power steering pump? -

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 10-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
Quote:
Originally posted by jamcllw@Oct 13 2005, 09:20 PM

Power steering pumps do not click, They have a whine, if it is going.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
If it's anything like mine, could just be the lifters or the vavles.

Been doing it a while and had my motor rebuilt (not becuase of that), nothing major

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
elitecloud
GL Member

how much we talking about here red? - i was hit by rita, cash is hard to come by for me now lol sniffle

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 10-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #8
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
im fairly sure that valve tick for the most part is just an annoyance issue, im not sure what happens when you leave it go. mine clicks from the passenger side, when i installed my UD pulley i got a belt a tad too long and it clicks when there isnt tension on it by a motor load. once it is under load and the motor flexes it goes away. so it could be like mine, an old belt that has stretched or a tensioner that is old. but if it directly from the motor valve tick sounds like the culprit.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
yeah its nothing to be concerned about its very very common on the 3400, all it is, is the lifters and valves expanding, while oil is being circulated. and once htey've expanded to a certain point the noise goes away. its nothing to worry about really.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:15 AM   #10
jamcllw
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by AftermathAlero+Oct 13 2005, 04:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AftermathAlero @ Oct 13 2005, 04:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jamcllw@Oct 13 2005, 09:20 PM

Power steering pumps do not click, They have a whine, if it is going.
[/b][/quote]

Mine's clicking. I can't be anything else. Took the belt off no more clicking. Put belt back on clicking. Start to trace clicking with screwdriver to ear trick. Yep it's my power steering pump. Took belt back off. Turned pump by hand. Felt click. Definantly power steering pump. Check all pulleys around power steering pump none click. Turn power steering pump some more and can still feel the click.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:38 AM   #11
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
wow.. i guess urs is to the point of no more whineing, to just plain out clicking. Prolly one of the ball bearings or something in the pump broke for it to click like that. never heard that before. You should change it. Very easy and doesn't cost too much for a reman. pump.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:31 AM   #12
alerochick242

Quote:
Originally posted by -Alero-@Oct 14 2005, 12:19 AM
yeah its nothing to be concerned about its very very common on the 3400, all it is, is the lifters and valves expanding, while oil is being circulated. and once htey've expanded to a certain point the noise goes away. its nothing to worry about really.

Yep, don't worry about it. Mine has done it since it was brand new. Once it gets warmed up and the oil gets to everything, it stops. My husband said that it has something to do with the hydraulic lifters, but it won't hurt anything. It's annoying though cause it sounds like a model-T when you first start it!
Old 10-15-2005, 05:47 AM   #13
elitecloud
GL Member

guy looked at it today said it was the lifters losing thier prime

and it might cost me 450 each lifter to be replaced - 2 lifters per cylinder x 6 = 6000, ha i'll pass

or he's like go get some slick 50 and put it in your car, iam like ok, so i did an oil change my self and put 3 quarts in it and slick 50, doesn't click anymore hehe

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 10-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #14
elitecloud
GL Member

now the car is overheating, jesus

it's usually running at the medium bar, but now gets up to the 3/4 point, turing the heater on helps alot but this is not something i need

so i am going to buy another thermostat today and install it, but where is the thermostat at in the car, do i need to drain all the dex-cool out to install it? and refill it with dex-cool afterwards?

another question, i added the slick 50 and 3 quarts of oil, the oil light is comming on now, should i add more oil or do another drain and change the oil again?

also the low coolant light is comming on....

thanks

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 10-18-2005, 10:22 AM   #15
jamcllw
GLS member

thermostat basically under the throttlebody. it's where the upper rad hose meets with the block. It's a PITA to change. You got to have small hands.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #16
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
tstat isnt that bad if you take off the throttle body. im pretty sure that you could reuse the coolant if you make sure to keep it clean, but id rather play it safe and replace it. good luck.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:59 PM   #17
bigd6983

check for any coolant leaks.......you may have had a problem with coolant into your oil or oil into your coolant.......but for sure get a lower intake manifold checked out
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 AM   #18
Wildman
GL Member

Wildman is an unknown quantity at this point
The coolant loss could be one of the two most common things on the 3400. Check these out before you replace your thermostat because if your low on coolant, that will make it run hot also and be the cause of your temp guage going up to 3/4 mark.
Either
A) Water pump. *Check for coolant around the water pump, or a discolored stripe that runs from the front of the hood liner to the back, on the passenger side of the hood. (From the coolant leaking out and being slung around by the turning belts and pulleys)

B) Lower Intake Manifold Gasket *Check where the intake meets the block for signs of cooland seeping out. Or check the oil when you change it for a milky discoloration

When you say your oil light is on, is it the change oil light, low oil light, or low oil pressure light ?? If its the change oil light, then reset it by following the instructions posted elsewhere on this forum. If it's the Low Oil light, then park on a level surface and check the dipstick to see how low you are and to see how much you should add. And if it's the oil pressure light........seek professional help.

And as fas as the "tapping" noise, yes its a common on the 3100/3400. Mines been doing it forever. It causes no harm to the motor. Just annoying is all.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:26 AM   #19
elitecloud
GL Member

well i added 3 quarts of oil and 1/2 quart of slick 50 when i did my oil change, so today i added another quart of oil, i used mobil1 half synthetic 7500 miles approved, and the light went off, i hope that wasn't too much oil...

the coolant, i topped it off about a week ago or so, and it was back down almost bare again, so iam sure i have a leak, but it's not mixing with the oil that i know of

i am going to check for leaks tommorow, should i run the car to see if it's leaking anywhere or should i just do it when it's not running, i can't get under the car with out putting it on ramps tho

what i plan to do, because i really don't have the funds or anything right now to fix the car if something were to go wrong is just pay it so that iam not upside down on teh car anymore, worth 6900 own 9500 on it, and then trade it in for like a ranger or somthing, i really want a truck....

so ;-)

how much is a lower intake manifold gasket? and can that be done myself?

ditto with teh water pump.

and thanks guys for the help

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 10-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #20
bigd6983

the water pump i heard is pretty easy.........remove belt, remove the pulley for the water pump and then remove the pump itself.......the gasket is a little bit more involved........but as far as leaks of coolant, check inside where you pour your oil for anything that looks wrong, check inside your coolant tank for any brown sludge........check ontop off your tranny right below your throttle body for a puddle of coolant.......