Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-22-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Tuse31
GX Member

Tuse31 is on a distinguished road
Relatively new to car audio

Hey guys I'm kind of a noob when it comes to car audio. I was at the junkyard today lookin around for a replacement flip down visor mirror. I then checked for any aftermarket speakers that may be in the cars.

I just happened to stumble upon a set of 6x9 rear pioneer speakers in good condition. The model number is TS-A695. I also found some 5.25" pioneer front speakers model number TS-G1342R. I got all 4 speakers for $23. I think I got a good deal since i've heard good things about pioneer.

So I got home and wired the 6x9s up. They were working fine until I turned the volume up and then when the bass hit, all of my speakers crackled and I got horrible distortion everywhere.

I'm running stock front, tweets and head unit. I'm thinking the stock set up is an 8 ohm load, where the speakers are 4, which is causing all the distortion but I'm far from a guru on this stuff so I wanted to see if someone with experience could help? I plan on installing a kenwood head unit, 1000 watt amp and 2 12" kenwood subwoofers in the future for just a budget set up. I am also very open to suggests so feel free to voice your opinions please. Thanks!
Tuse31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
I will tell you let Ryanfromohio tell you about american bass

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Tuse31
GX Member

Alright. Should i send him a PM?

Does anybody know what's going on with the speakers though? Will an aftermarket HU fix this? Did I wire one of them wrong?

I'm hesitant to install my front door speakers since this is happening with the rear 6x9's. I don't think i have the monsoon system since i have a 99' and i looked for the amp behind the trunk carpet and it wasn't there.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
Cashdollar2009
GL Member

Cashdollar2009 is on a distinguished road
1. The distortion you are hearing is more than likely due to the fact that they are already blown. (why they were scrapped with the car)

2. You can't judge a product because you have heard good things form their brand name. Most companies make multiple levels of products. Some company may make incredible subs, yet their entry line leaves something to be desired.

3. You should be fine with a 4-ohm load per speaker on head unit power, but I would invest in that Kenwood unit asap if you plan to upgrade to aftermarket speakers.

From your level of experience, I would just look into drop-in coaxials as they are rather easy to install as a drop-in replacement. No separate tweeter/crossover/wiring necessary. If you are running stock now, you shouldn't have to worry about running a separate amp for your mids and highs to be satisfied.

If you have an ocd type of deal with running all similar equipment, and for budget, you could look into the Alpine Type-S base line. I run the 4x6"s up front now for temporary sound, not a single complaint. Great SQ for the average driver.

Alpine Type-S 4x6: http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-SPS-500-5...#ht_2435wt_704

Alpine Type-S 6x9: http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-SPS-609-6...#ht_2589wt_704

If those don't float your boat check some sites such as sonicelectronix.com and crutchfield.com. They are both usually running specials. Your best bet is to find something you like, then post up here for some extra $0.02 from the people here whom may have an idea. So many times people buy something they aren't familiar with and then ask for help AFTER it isn't what they wanted.

The saying is especially true when it comes to car audio. You get what you pay for! You are looking to spend at least $120.00 to make your car sound better than factory... Any other questions feel free to post up. I like to troll the audio section here every once in a while... lol
Old 08-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
Tuse31
GX Member

Alright thanks for your input! And no I'm not OCD about this at all. Lol. I was just lookin for things in my price range and just decided I might as well just stick with all kenwood stuff. I'm lookin for an amp, sub(s) and HU set up around $300-400. The front ones I picked up from the junkyard are drop-in coaxials I'm pretty sure. And I'm almost positive that the rear 6x9s aren't blown. The distortion is coming from the tweets and fronts too. Not just the back. Also, I tested them before I put them back into the mounts. The cones were hitting and vibrating and music was coming out. I did although, ghetto rig one of them because it didn't have a clip. The driver's side one had the female clip that clipped right in. The passenger one didn't so I ran speaker wire from the male prong into the bottom of the metal on the speaker and up through the two holes. Which may be causing the problem too. I may try taking out the passenger side one and putting the stock one back in and see if the distortion of all my speakers stops.

As far as subs and an amp go, what would you suggest for a basic, budget set-up? I currently have a sealed dual 12" box with one kenwood and one Rockford fosgate P1 punch. I want to keep the kenwoods because my friend said they hit harder than the rockfords. I've also heard rockfords are far overpriced. So I'd just sell the Rockford and get another kenwood to match the rms. I have heard a pair of 12" kickers and those hit harder than anything I've heard but I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. I have no personal experience other than hearing my friends' systems. Who mostly all run pioneers in their cars...

Last edited by Tuse31 : 08-23-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
Tuse31
GX Member

I was just doing some subwoofer research and think I might want to go with a single kicker comp 12". It is an entry level sub and has a lower rms than a kenwood and I would need a much smaller amp. What are your opinions on one 12" with a ported enclosure. Possibly a 15" kicker comp with a ported enclosure? Sorry for the double post..
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
before you go buying... pm ryan. give him an estimate "this is how much i have to spend" and have him look for ya.

the man is a magician with money + power + quality. (and hes a dealer)
Old 08-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Tuse31
GX Member

Ok thanks cherrington. I will.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
also... to fit 5.25 in the door, you need minimal fabrication to get them to fit.

to get 6.5s... you need custom pods in place of the plastic map cubbies. It just depends on what your looking for.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
Tuse31
GX Member

The 6x9 pioneers fit almost flawlessly into the stock mounts. I ended up taking one speaker out and replaced it with the factory and everything works fine. I wired it wrong it or it is blown. I have tried the 5.25" ones yet, but thank you for the heads up!