Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
alerojack
GX Member

alerojack is an unknown quantity at this point
tires out of balance???

this started a couple of weeks ago: i heard a "tapping" noise from the my wheel area when i turned. my first thought was my bearing again, for the 5th time. so i drove home from work later that day and when i got closer to home, i felt a wobble in the wheels. i got the car jacked up and checked the bearings out. no play what so ever. ive replaced the pass. side bearing about 4 times. the last time was in sept. but they seem fine. so i parked it and just bummed a ride for awhile to work. after checking some things out on it and finding nothing broke or rubbing, i drove it to work today for the first time in 3 weeks. no noise or wobble. well about half way home it started to wobble again. and sure enough i got the clunks when i turned. so i pull over and get out and check it out but again i dont see anything broken. so i turn the wheel a few times and it seems ok. so i pull out and crazy enough, no wobble or tap noise. i have my winter tires on it and never had problems before. but last winter i had the 2 front tires replaced and they put a tire on that sits slightly taller than the other 3 tires but all last year it didnt make a difference. could this tire finally have done it or what might be going on. any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...
alerojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
are you speaking of the strut mount bearing or the hub bearing...

Sounds like strut mount bearing...

Is it lowered?
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
alerojack
GX Member

i have replaced the hub bearing. and yes, its lowered...sprint springs
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
possibly a ball joint or a tie rod end, which are sometimes really difficult to inspect...does it try to wander around the road or "chase cracks"? Do the tires wear out on the outer edges? I'm replacing all of mine this spring because one tie rod is bad and another is getting bad...the rest are bound to be close behind. May be replacing my strut mounts too, but they can probably wait till I get lowering springs and some AGX struts.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
alerojack
GX Member

im about 90% sure its my pass. side tie rod. im replacing this weekend and seeing how that goes. i was driving my wifes 99 grand am when hers went and snapped into 2 peices in mid turn. that was interesting. lucky it was a turn from a dead stop and not going fast. pretty freaky/scary when your kids are in the back seat...
Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
El Pablo
03 Subaru WRX

El Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Pablo Send a message via Yahoo to El Pablo
i'm hearing that, scary stuff