Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 09-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
ShortysTRM

The engine in my fiancee's alero is like popping or sputtering or something at idle. It's usually when the a/c's on or the wheels are being turned, so I assume it's only under load (when the engine is working harder to compensate for the strain). I don't necessarily think it's abnormal, but it seems more noticable now that we changed the oil again. It has had Mobil 1 in it for a long time, so it isn't because we switched oil or anything. This time I actually put 4.5 qts as opposed to accidentally putting in the last half of the 5th qt.. Could that be it? I just feel like it could be an early warning sign of impending doom.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Switching to a full synthetic can mess with your motor a bit you should have put in a tri blend then at the next change you could put in the full synthetic that is what my mechanic told me but I put in the full synthetic. But since you have been using it for a while check your spark plugs and wires air filter, fuel filter. since it does it when you turn the wheel check the power steering fluid. That is all that I would do, it could also be the motor is just dieing you never know till it does.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:16 PM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the oil has nothing to do with it.

i asume when you say popping and spurding you mean as if the motor is missing and you can here out the exhaust.

if it does this all the time when the A/C is on take it to a shop have them put it on the diagnostics and turn air on. they will be able to tell if it is a spark or fuel issue.

have you checked your rpms when it is doing it. maybe when you do these things it drops the idle too low.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
ShortysTRM

My honest opinion is that it's natural for the LD9. I have a 3.3 GAGT and we had a 3.4 Alero, so I dunno anything about 4 cylinders. I have heard that there is a lot more engine noise in the 2.4 aleros, so maybe that's it. It doesn't sound like a misfire or anything, it just kind of doddles. It's not from the exhaust, either.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:50 AM   #5
Super White Alero

You mean does it sound like a pud, pud, or a groaning sound? Pop the hood, idle the engine and normal temperature about 20 minutes, check to see how engine reacts when a/c is on. It should not jerk but it should stress the engine just a tad bit. Enuff for you to notice, if you talking about actual popping noise then see if anything is loose like a torn hose or check your low pressure line under the compressor. If you in St. Louis take it to my shop I'll look at it for you.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:58 PM   #6
ShortysTRM

That's a nice offer, but I'm in WV. Thanks though . I'm pretty sure that the car is fine. If it gets any worse, it may be of concern, but the little noise it's making now seems to be inherent and not due to any malfunctions. I think I was just being overly cautious/paranoid. :thumbsup: