Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I am having trouble with my sunroof not opening all the way... It only opens part of the way. But it will close fully. Is this a motor problem? If I need to replace the motor, how much are they and where can I find one?
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

alerocar01 is an unknown quantity at this point
it could be a bad sensor

DO WORK
alerocar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I don't know, cause after I posted this forum, I had to go get my tired repaired (there was a screw in it. ugh... lol) and the sunroof worked just fine.... It's really annoying. lol
Old 04-07-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
u know ive had this happen afew times as well......... it would only open partcially but close back up. then the next moring it would work fine.

i have no clue what it is but it always seemed to work itself out.

i did just have the entire motor assembly replaced though dude to a different issue....... the roof wouldnt close all the way.

with labor and parts to replace the assembly it was about $900....... thanks u warrenty with $50 deductable.

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Satsuriku is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SweetNLow@Apr 7 2006, 03:46 PM
u know ive had this happen afew times as well......... it would only open partcially but close back up. then the next moring it would work fine.

i have no clue what it is but it always seemed to work itself out.

i did just have the entire motor assembly replaced though dude to a different issue....... the roof wouldnt close all the way.

with labor and parts to replace the assembly it was about $900....... thanks u warrenty with $50 deductable.

my god im sooo glad i dont have a sun roof!! plus, warrenty dont help me at all, i put a 1 year warrenty when i got my car from the dealership a year ago and guess what.....shes alll ran out and over 3/4 of it i didnt even drive the damn thing!!
Satsuriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
i bought my car with the exteneded 5year/100,000 mile warrenty becuase i did my reserch and knew my car would get the LIM gasket leak on the 3400 v6. gasket got replaced last july and now the sunroof.

i still have a year left on the warrenty im only at 89,000 miles though, bought the car with 36,000 used....... best $1000 ive spend on the car though for the warrenty..... otherwise the work done on the car wouldve cost me $2500 nearly by now for just 2 trips to the dealer

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #7
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Yeah, mine use to not close all the way, but what I'd do is just hit the open button once, and then hit the close button and it would close just fine.... I don't know what it's doing, but if it's going to cost me $900 to replace the motor, I think I would just leave it shut. lol It seems to work just fine when it's really nice outside, but when it gets cool, it does the partial opening thing. But anyways, thanks for the info.... Unfortunately, my car doesn't have a warrenty on it.... I bought it with the 30 day warrenty from the dealer... Used obviously... lol
Old 04-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by cavaliers60@Apr 7 2006, 02:46 PM
I am having trouble with my sunroof not opening all the way... It only opens part of the way. But it will close fully. Is this a motor problem? If I need to replace the motor, how much are they and where can I find one?

Are you saying the glass won't pop UP all the way and it stops? Or are you saying it stops on the way BACK? If it stops on the way up, gently push on it a little when you hit the button. The rubber seal around the glass are keeping it stuck down and need a very thin form of lubrication. Take some lithium based lubricant and spay some on your fingertip, then run your fingertip around the outside seal on the glass it's self. That rubber seal has too much tension on the recessed part of the roof, and the motor will automatically "shut down" as soon as it senses a problem.

( Ever since I replaced my moonroof glass, mine's been that way. I had to adjust the glass in the frame so it's this way so that it looked tight and flat when closed. )

Hope this helps

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:32 PM   #9
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

It's when it slides back.... The place where the track runs back looks dirty, so it might be because of that... Maybe it's just sensing it hitting something.... I"m not sure... If it does it again in the next day or two, I'll take some pictures.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #10
Coldfire
GL Member

Coldfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Satsuriku@Apr 7 2006, 04:51 PM
my god im sooo glad i dont have a sun roof!! plus, warrenty dont help me at all, i put a 1 year warrenty when i got my car from the dealership a year ago and guess what.....shes alll ran out and over 3/4 of it i didnt even drive the damn thing!!

Y'know when I bought my first alero, I didn't really care about a sunroof, but the one I got happened to have one. Then, when I wrecked it and was looking for a new one, I decided I couldn't live without it and passed up several good deals for one with the sunroof
Coldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

^ yeah I passed up a red 2003 alero with XM radio for my 2000 alero coupe. Funny thing was, the 2003 one was cheaper than the 2000 one.... don't know why or how, but it was... But I went for the coupe cause it looked a lot better. Plus, it had the sunroof.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #12
embe

What lube is recommended for the sunroof tracks. Mine stutters once in a while.