Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
race2win86

Has anyone else had problems installing an aftermarket stereo in their Alero? I bought a Pioneer stereo and I can't install it like it should because the trim piece around the stereo and climate controls come too close to the stereo, therefore it is easy to remove the stereo without even and taking any of the trim off (plus it also looks pretty bad too because you can see the metal cage that holds the stereo in. Has anyone come across this, and if so, how did you fix it? Do they make dash install kits for Aleros where the stereo sits in the dash in the middle vertically instead of at the top of the hole with a little cubby hole below it? I currently have Metra's dash install kit in mine but I am not very pleased with it. Also, does anyone know where I can get a replacement light bulb for the light that is positioned right above the ash tray/cup holder. The light shines down in the cubby hole from the top of the trim. It's wired in with the cigarette lighter however my bulb burner out and I have not been able to find another light bilb to install - has anyone else had luck with this? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
how bout some pics. and break that up into smaller paragraphs. my a.d.d. kicked in.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
scsralero
GX Member

scsralero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 2fst4u@May 22 2006, 09:09 PM
how bout some pics. and break that up into smaller paragraphs. my a.d.d. kicked in.

yeah mine too doesnt it suck?? x2 on the pics
scsralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
bigd6983

more than likely the problem that your having is that the back of the headunit is hitting the plastic at the back. i know for a fact the pioneer fits, but theres some plastic crap that needs to be trimmed out, i dont know if anyone has any pictures of exactly what areas you trim, but im sure someones got something........
Old 05-23-2006, 02:20 AM   #5
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983@May 22 2006, 11:31 PM
more than likely the problem that your having is that the back of the headunit is hitting the plastic at the back. i know for a fact the pioneer fits, but theres some plastic crap that needs to be trimmed out, i dont know if anyone has any pictures of exactly what areas you trim, but im sure someones got something........

no thats not his problem. his problem is his actual radio trim that came with the pioneer is too big and wont fit with the stock radio/hvac bezel.

my suggestion is to find a dash kit that comes with a radio trim. i used to sell kits that came with em, ill try to look up the brand later. otherwise your only option is to whip out a dremel and either cut down the pioneer trim or cut your stock bezel.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:44 AM   #6
TribalAlero2000GL3

I had the same problem. I went over to local circuit city asked if they had an extra trim piece (incase i screwed up), took it home whipped out the dremel and took down the 2 corners on the left side.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
I know what he is talking about. Mine does the same but I don't really care at this point. I wanted the sound first and foremost.
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
exnine@gmail.com
GX Member

exnine@gmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to exnine@gmail.com
Quote:
Originally posted by race2win86@May 22 2006, 09:06 PM
The light shines down in the cubby hole from the top of the trim. It's wired in with the cigarette lighter however my bulb burner out and I have not been able to find another light bilb to install - has anyone else had luck with this? Thanks.
When mine burned out I Just wired an LED in there.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
bigd6983

oh i get what hes saying, i dont know what to tell you though i have a pioneer headunit i forget the model number but mine fits just fine, looks good, and ive switched out 2 different brands of mounting hardware and never a problem.....maybe his problem still is what i said and its not letting it sit like its suppose to and therefor not letting the trim piece on properly......
Old 05-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
race2win86

Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983@May 23 2006, 11:12 AM
oh i get what hes saying, i dont know what to tell you though i have a pioneer headunit i forget the model number but mine fits just fine, looks good, and ive switched out 2 different brands of mounting hardware and never a problem.....maybe his problem still is what i said and its not letting it sit like its suppose to and therefor not letting the trim piece on properly......

Well if I mount the stereo using the metal cage provided by Pioneer, then I can't put the final trim piece on the stereo b/c the Alero trim piece that goes around the sterero is too close to the stereo. So I tried mounting the stereo with plastic brackets on the side instead. Everything was fine until I went to install the stereo - I couldn't get it in all of the way b/c there was some plast piece in the back that was blocking the stereo from going in further. Maybe I will just have to cut part of the plastic piece out so I can slide my stereo in all of the way.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
race2win86

Does anyone know if any company makes a dash kit where the aftermarket stereo sits in the hole in the dash centered vertically? Mine sits at the top of the hole and there is a cubby hole/storage space below it. That is part of the problem as to why I can put Pioneer's trim piece on - b/c the stereo is too high. I have searched the www for a different dash kit where the stereo is sits in the middle of the hole (vertically) but have not had much luck. The dash kit I have in it now is the Metra one.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
that's really weird. my pioneer fit perfectly in my dash kit. i think because it was set back in a little bit. also, go to town on the back of the dash. i used a hole saw, and a little bit of raw strength. just don't cut any wires. lol
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #13
race2win86

Quote:
Originally posted by 2fst4u@May 23 2006, 11:49 AM
my pioneer fit perfectly in my dash kit.

What kind/brand of daskit did you use?