Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
State Inspection

I'm being good this year, and actually GETTING my car inspected. (last 1.5 years i wasn't inspected w/o even knowing)

and I had to deal with some punkass prick behind the counter. At no point in time, did I ever feel like I shouldn't be removing his teeth with my fist. He had THAT much of an attitude. And some people on the board know me, and I'm in no way intolerant of people... so thats saying alot. Needless to say, I won't be returning to this shop, that I regularly get serivce I can't handle, or don't have time for.

But my car failed. I have a leaky passanger caliper. I just replaced those, so... sure, maybe its bad from the store. (the more polite mechanic who actually did the work explained it to me) So i gotta redo that, and get wipers when i'm doing it.

but i was also told that "your intake is leaking" WTF does that mean? Capt. 'tude didn't want to elaborate beyond "its a common problem for that year, model" so, i know english isn't his high point either. Maybe he just couldn't be bothered to take the time to properly say "year AND model" or god forbid actually explain what he was talking about.

how/where do i have an intake that could be leaking?? The only intake i really know of, is fuel (i'd notice my mpg dropping and its held a consistant 24mpg) and air... how the eff could my air intake leak?

Someone please fill me in on that.

and just for fun, i'll share some of the convo between me and mr.douche

Douche:
You FAILED your inspection
Me: ok.
Douche: WHO DID those calipers?
Me: I did.
Douche: Well you FAILED because of it.
Me: What caused it? (at this point, i'm wondering why he keeps yelling failed)
Douche: The passanger one is leaking. I've had 8 bad calipers from Autozone lately, its why i've stopped going there
Me: Hmm.. maybe just a bad batch from their supplier...
Douche: No, they just use cheap shitty aluminum!
Me: ...uh...ok... (I'm not sure if he knows that particular shop's part supplier is the very same Autozone)
Douche: I'm going to have to fail you... You do understand you FAILED the inspection?
Me: ...? (at this point, i'm seriously questioning his authority over ANYTHING, in the fact that he has to feel superior by trying to make others paranoid and scared) So I'll fix it and get reinspected... no big deal.

....and the conversation continued on as such. I have good reason to believe the yellow vinyled out, parkbench sporting POS in the parking lot was his. not a single body panel w/o a sticker OR rust, and the for sale sign said "Wanted $2,000"
Old 08-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
01OldsAleroGt
GLS member

01OldsAleroGt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 01OldsAleroGt Send a message via MSN to 01OldsAleroGt Send a message via Yahoo to 01OldsAleroGt
i guess why the guy like it when others fail the inspection cause with his attitude and pos ricer... he fails at life
Old 08-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
im headed to get mine inspected in a few hours. hopefully i dont encounter anything similar to that. i guess some people just let it go to their head when they have power over something.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
and let me just reitterate the main question of the post:

I was told my intake was leaking, and that its a common problem? What could he have been possibly referring to??

The main point of the post was to bitch. but i'd really like to know what intake i have thats leaking...
Old 08-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
FrankTheTank
GLS member

FrankTheTank is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm gonna guess you have a 3400...so its your lower intake manifold gasket.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
cherrington17
Gone

my oil is always the same oily color, and the coolant hasn't moved its level since i've owned the car...

where do i look to see if its leaking externally?

EDIT: just went out and looked around...

there is some slight discoloration in and around where the heat shield is in the front, but that looks more like dirt then anything. And again, i checked my coolant, which is right where it should be. and my oil isn't discolored at all.

i think he was just making this shit up. I thought the LIMG was fixed in the '03 models....
Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
So you failed state inspection, and you could still drive the car. Here they give you a slip and after a certain time you can't drive the car with out it being fixed.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Cars don't fail inspection for leaking gaskets, leaking brakes, yes

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
So you failed state inspection, and you could still drive the car. Here they give you a slip and after a certain time you can't drive the car with out it being fixed.

the slip says i have 30 days. i can't see what they can do after that?? report that i didn't fix it, to the police??
EDIT: they report it to the DMV. so yeah... i DO need to fix it soon.

i'll fix it when i have some time to tear it all apart again. but i still fail to see the leaking "intake" if it is infact the manifold, i think i'd see some kind of affect from the leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post

i asked if there was anything else i should look out for. he said "leaking intake" and "your shock" and i thanked him for being specific. eff, i STILL want to hurt him for being such an ass
Old 08-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
^^Yeah.

Fix the caliper, get new wipers and go somewhere else to get inspected and you should be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
I'm being good this year, and actually GETTING my car inspected. (last 1.5 years i wasn't inspected w/o even knowing)
The inspection sticker on my Alero right now expires in January 2006
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
deathwish666
GL Member

deathwish666 is on a distinguished road
i drop off my car for inspection tomorrow night...and PA i heard is really strict....in the past i had a gf whos dad worked for the DMV so he just gave me a sticker for $80 and i slapped it on my car haha...and now with this new rigged intake its really making me nervous
coming soon: some led's, better subs
deathwish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
01OldsAleroGt
GLS member

01OldsAleroGt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 01OldsAleroGt Send a message via MSN to 01OldsAleroGt Send a message via Yahoo to 01OldsAleroGt
woot.... no inspections or big time smog regulations here in florida...
Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
It's more strict in the city areas of PA.

Eire, Allengeny, Philadelphia, Mongotmery, Bucks, Chester, and Delaware counties, and I think the county Scranton's in. There are more car in these counties than in the rest of the Commonwealth put together.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
i'm glad i don't need inspections. my dad would be the one to do it so all we'd do is sign and not worry about the car, but still it would be annoying to have the sticker in the window to sit there and look gay.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #15
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
can cleared corners fail you in an inspection if the mech wants to be a douche? thats the only thing im nervous about...
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Thank goodness Indiana doesn't have state inspections.... the only vehicles that get them here are school buses and semi trucks.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #17
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
In Maryland once you get it done once you never have to get it done again, no matter how F'ed up it is, Hell in VA when I lived there all they check are the headlights, brakelights, and wipers, then you are out of there. For 10 bucks!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #18
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAlero2000 View Post
can cleared corners fail you in an inspection if the mech wants to be a douche? thats the only thing im nervous about...

no, as long as you have the right colored bulbs..... to which i do.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #19
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
by right colored bulbs you mean not anything crazy or plain wrong?
i have the ones that appear blue but light up amber...those are good right?
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #20
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
woohoo...michigan - home of the rustbuckets on wheels. seriously, every other car in the detroit metro area is missing its muffler, no brake lights, or spews out smoke.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote