Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

View Poll Results: Go with a full 2.5" SLP/Magnaflow setup or stick with Borla?
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2005, 12:49 AM   #1
mfuller

Okay kiddies:

I'm sure this will elicit some groans from those of you who know me, but I'm contemplating on changing my cat-back exhaust again. Why you ask?
Well, two reasons.....

1. I think I've finally got the car running right (bad EGR valve), but I think the smaller 2.25" Borla system is hurting me up top. Don't talk to me about losing low-end since my car doesn't really wake up until 3 grand anyway.
2. I want something that sounds ballsier, but still not obnoxious enough to attract smokies.

My current exhaust setup is TOG headers, a 2.5" Magnaflow cat, and the aforementioned 2.25" Borla cat-back. The proposed new cat-back would be 2.5" all the way through. Some of you may recall that I've experimented with a setup like this before (SLP 2.5" pipes and a Magnaflow muffler), but deemed it to be too loud - it's now producing grins on Oldsman's car.
So why would this be any different? Well, the old SLP/Magnaflow setup was bolted to a blown-out RT cat, which probably amplified things. Also, I wasn't using a resonator before, which I plan to do this time.

So what do you think? Constructive criticism welcome.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i think the slp/magnaflow would be your best bet matt, something to think about too, it that i had a slp/magnaflow setup on my car recently, instead of a dual out my magnaflow was a single in/out, although i don't have headers, i found this setup to be significantly quieter than the slp/magnaflow dual out, it is all your preference but i am just throwing that out there......
Old 09-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think the slp will be your best bet, then you can sell me the borla too!!
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
RoninKouga

havent worked on the alero exhaust before, but on other cars, and reducing the diameter will give you a break down of the laminar flow.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Final-Reality

As long as you're using 2.5" pipes I don't care what muffler you use. If you're concerned about noise make sure you get a good and fairly long 2.5" resonator to use after the cat, they make a large difference. After that a fairly open, 2.5" muffler and you'll be good. The performance difference between a wide-open resonator-type "fart can" muffler and a properly baffled one is unnoticeable, at least on a car that isn't forced-fed