Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-31-2005, 02:32 PM   #1
Matthewfinlay04

It started yesterday first when the car was in reverse or neutral, now it does it all the time. Seems to go away when reving up the car. Also the loud clicking noise goes away when there's a load on the engine, while I'm turning the wheel at idle. Just replaced the water pump last week.

Help Please!!
Old 08-31-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
alerochick242

That's a tough question. Have you opened the hood to listen while the car is running to see if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
Matthewfinlay04

Yeah opened up the hood and it sounds as if its coming from either the timing chain or the alternator. it's the OE alternator and the car has 171000 miles on it
Old 08-31-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
alerochick242

Have you ever had the timing chain replaced?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
Matthewfinlay04

nope almost everything on the engine is the original, besides water pump
Old 08-31-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
alerochick242

Quote:
Originally posted by alerochick242@Aug 31 2005, 06:52 PM
Have you ever had the timing chain replaced?

The reason I ask is because timing chains can get stretched out after a while- sometimes so much so that the chain will slap the inside of the timing cover.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
alerochick242

The only time I ever had an alternator go bad, the bearings in it went bad and it made a whining noise.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
Matthewfinlay04

I thought that it was the timign chain slapping the cover because with the 2.4 you have dam* near take the engine apart to replace the water pump. However I put my hand on the cover to see if I could feel anything and I couldn't.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:31 PM   #9
alerochick242

Have you ever heard of the broomstick trick? What you do is take a broomstick (or a stethescope) and touch it to different parts of the engine. Put you ear near the other end. Just listen and find where the clicking is the loudest. You should be able to pinpoint the location of the noise.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
Matthewfinlay04

yeah i did think of that but I justed called my uncle he's a tech at a chevy dealership and he is gonna take a look at it. Thanks forever ones help though. I will post what is actually wrong when I find out
Old 08-31-2005, 03:39 PM   #11
alerochick242

You're welcome!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
Matthewfinlay04

My uncle said that it was def the timing chain slapping the cover. Seem like when my father replaced the water pump he didn't adjust the tensioner correctly, Opps good thing I caught it before anything bad could happen.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:26 PM   #13
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
get a new tensioner and chain. whenever you have to pull off the timing chain you should replace it and the tensioner. unless brand new.

there is a certain procedure to setting the tensioner and your uncle should have that.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #14
alerochick242

Cool. I'm glad you found out what it was!