Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 02-03-2004, 06:09 PM   #21
3.4Alero

Quote:
Originally posted by loudalero@Feb 1 2004, 05:08 PM
Slp is only stainless steel from the muffler back and also the borla is a better stainless steel it has more stainless in it and less steel but as it goes that what you pay for is what you get and and the slp is the minium and borla uses better components to make the cat back.
WTF are you talking about? Why would you post something that you have NO IDEA about. "it has more stainless in it and less steel."??????? OK quick lesson. 300 series stainless (austenitic) IS pretty much the best you can get for an automotive exhaust application. 400 series is the norm, because it is cheaper and does not have as much CHROME as the 300 series. Also, the 300 series has greater nickel content. These combined give it better formability, better corrosion resistance, and better surface quality than 400 series. Hence, a more resilient exhaust system, if not just a tad heavier than 400 series, though. And SLP does not even list the type of stainless they use, so how do you know Borla is better?

And just an FYI...you can't have "more stainless and less steel" in steel.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:46 PM   #22
Silverknight

the 2.4L sound clip on the Grand Am sounds kinda ricer like....but still much better than stock
Old 02-03-2004, 11:34 PM   #23
loudalero

Sorrrrrrry Well I thought it was more of something and less of something but Its been talked about before that borla uses better stainless steel than slp but either way the the pipe from the cat to the muffler is not stainless on the slp.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:55 AM   #24
Final-Reality

"stainless steel" is regular steel with nickel in it to prevent rusting.
Yuo = teh Smrt!!(1)OEN
Old 02-04-2004, 01:25 AM   #25
Purple&Black

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.4Alero@Feb 3 2004, 05:09 PM
And just an FYI...you can't have "more stainless and less steel" in steel.
Why I couldn't stop laughing at that, I don't know...sometimes the stuff that's not even funny is what gets ya going... :thumbsup:
Old 02-08-2004, 09:12 PM   #26
rabbitdaninja

I've got a stainless steel mirror finish universal magnaflow muffler it sounds pretty nice, it's throaty not ricey and I felt a good boost in hp compared to the stock muffler. If you don't have a big budget you might want to look into this.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:13 PM   #27
a2k
GX Member

a2k is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to have a Magnaflow Street Series Universal stainless steel muffler on my 2.4 Alero w/ the Magnaflow resonator. It was LOUD.. very deep, throaty.. and LOUD.... i took that guy off and insatlled the GA GT muffler on my alero.. looks sweet, but very quiet.. just a bit louder than stock i would say...

i can sell ya the magnaflow if u want... :thumbsup:

A2K
a2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:41 PM   #28
sympley

Could you guys let me know if the SLP muffler increased the HP output a bit. There is a lot of muffelers out there on a market that suggest that they can increase HP up to 10%. Does the SLP has any gains?
Also will it fit Alero with the Ecotec engine. Are the V6's and the Ecotec's same from the catback to the rear end?

Any help and info would be very helpful, I hear that the stock GM mufflers are very restrictive.

Thank you.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:13 AM   #29
a2k
GX Member

The stock muffler on my alero (2000) was super restrictive. It was like a U shape. The exhaust gas would come down the middle of the car, then go to the passenger side, hit the intake on the muffler -- the muffler's interior chambers is a U in the direction from the passengers side to the drivers side, so the out pipe of the muffler comes out again on the passenger side.

i dunno if what i just said flows properly but super restrictive...
Old 02-13-2004, 12:21 AM   #30
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
heya2k i wanna see pics of ur car, ur rims loook nice. got a close up?
paul
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:44 AM   #31
a2k
GX Member

hehehe pimp, no you dont wanna see pics.. my avatar is what i want my alero TO look like when it's done (i photoshoped it)... i have big ass pics of the photoshoped alero... but i dont got the rims or the clears like in the pic... those were my projects for last summer.. but work got so busy had no time for the alero.. and those rims are Racing Hart EVO c6's.. which they havn't produced for 3/4 years now... bastards...

if u wanna see my low quality attempt at photoshoping my alero.. and exactly what i want my alero to look like when im done.. here you go:

Photoshoped A2K
Old 02-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #32
TrickedAlero

NICE car