Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 12-19-2004, 05:43 PM   #21
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
i think that it wouldnt add enough for the money, and plus, a single exhast with dual outlets like ans slp would be more than loud enough, but if you wanna spend alot of money on the dual exhaust then that just means less money to spend on everything else for the car :unsure:
Old 12-19-2004, 11:46 PM   #22
00AleroV6

I wonder if it's possible to fit edelbrock mufflers with a true dual setup...
Old 12-20-2004, 01:13 AM   #23
mobs241

Quote:
Originally posted by 00AleroV6@Dec 19 2004, 02:57 PM
i would want dump's
why? you would loose all your power. i ran without exhaust once i had my stock cutoff as i drove to my buddies shop.
with no backpressure engine thinks something is wrong and trys to compensate. throwing codes.

so it would be loud, with no power or torque.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:21 PM   #24
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
all this talk about needing backpressure for torque...i've always wondered...whats the reason you need backpressure to keep low-end torque? what does the backpressure actually do to keep torque? i know the least amount of backpressure you can get is the best for turbo, but i've always thought the more free flowing the better for NA too.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:27 PM   #25
bluephoAm

From what I understand..

less backpressure = more top end power
more backpressure = more low end power

and I think the median of the two is what an every day driving car has.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:33 PM   #26
00AleroV6

02 trans am has custom exuast with edelbrock dump's and it flow's nice-saw one at the track
Old 12-20-2004, 06:49 PM   #27
bluephoAm

This site might help explain the relation between horsepower and torque to you:

Horsepower & Torque
Old 12-20-2004, 09:33 PM   #28
00AleroV6

2002 Potiac Firebird WS6
M6 with 5.7L engine(6-speed_)

BG RAM Air, TSP Lid, Jantzer TB
-ASP pulley, !AIR, !Cats
-Kooks headers with edel brock 304 SS dumps Custom duals
-BMR STB, UMI SFCs, Lakewood DSL
-Badz ALCAs & APHB

361 HP & 376 TQ, 12.323@112.65w/1.792

this dude seems to be doing fine with dumps
Old 12-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #29
Final-Reality

Backpressure isnt really what you want for low-end torque, it's exhaust gas velocity. An exhaust that is too big has a slow exhaust gas velocity, you want the exhaust gasses to be moving at a reasonable pace so they aid in "exhaust scavenging", which is where the speed of the exhaust gasses pulse, in essence, creates a vacuum behind itself, which helps to draw in the air/fuel mixture when the valves overlap for the next combustion cycle.

At high RPMs, the exhaust gasses are obviously going to be travelling at a higher speed, so efficient exhaust scavenging is really most important at lower RPMs. There, the exhaust gasses are travelling more slowly and the vacuum created by the exhaust gasses is more important.

It's sort of hard to explain, so hopefully you understand what I'm saying. The key is to make sure the exhaust is big enough that it's not creating excessive backpressure and thus limits horespower, but not so big that the exahust gasses are travelling slowly and lose their scavenging effect.

Edit: http://www.miata.net/garage/KnowYourCar/S4_Back.html this website has a very good explanation, if anybody is actually interested :rolleyes:
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 PM   #30
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Totally understood, Final. I think it would do alot of the younger guys some good to research the theory behind "tri-Y" headers and "X" or "crossover" pipes and how they affect exhaust flow, don't you think? Again, I'd make an attempt @ true duals on my v6 Alero for 1 reason only: just to be different. I realise that there's hardly anything, if anything @ all to gain power-wise from these small motors by running a true dual set-up.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:00 PM   #31
SilverBullet256

and beyond that it wont be much louder either, i have a friend with a lumina 3.4 that has true dual flowmasters on it and i have a single flowmaster and mine sounds louder and better so true dual woint help much at all with these cars, just go with a single and spend the rest of the money on other performance parts
Old 12-20-2004, 11:10 PM   #32
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
let the guy do what he wants with his money. i say go for it and be different.

only thing is no more cat though with the duals. so if you have emissions you no can do.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:19 PM   #33
00AleroV6

Well i wanted to make a custom true dual exaust set up with hi flow slip on cat's... so when that come's to get inspection i can just slip them in and slip them out afterwards.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:47 PM   #34
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverBullet256@Dec 20 2004, 11:00 PM
and beyond that it wont be much louder either, i have a friend with a lumina 3.4 that has true dual flowmasters on it and i have a single flowmaster and mine sounds louder and better so true dual woint help much at all with these cars, just go with a single and spend the rest of the money on other performance parts
you sure it isn't one pipe from the cat to a Y pipe, then to two mufflers? true dual is a pipe for each exhaust header. i dont believe they made production headers for the 3.4 (lumina 3.4, different motor for those who dont know), there were a few one off's though
Old 12-23-2004, 05:37 PM   #35
SilverBullet256

his was a custom job, spend about 2 k on the whole system, all i can say is that he is very disappointed for the money spent <_<
Old 12-23-2004, 05:44 PM   #36
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
2k? That's ridiculous, man. Even if it gave him an added 5 hp and sounded badass, i'd be disappointed.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:49 PM   #37
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
if he spent that much then he was dumb. a true dual exhaust don't cost that much. a custom true dual shouldn't cost anymore than $500.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:27 AM   #38
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I spend about $600 on mine and that includes the body work done to the rear bumper :rolleyes: But it's not true dual

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 04:26 PM   #39
SilverBullet256

its a true dual flowmaster, i dont like it, he doesnt like it, he wishes he would have justr had the y pipe kept in and then spent the rest on other parts
Old 12-27-2004, 01:17 PM   #40
00AleroV6

i wonder if edel brock mufflers would fit