Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #21
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayy View Post
Also I did notice the fans work but they never turn on really fast like they're supposed to, to cool it down. Could this be something?

It could be.

The main thing is, what temp does the ECU think it is?

My Malibu used to indicate about 3/4 up for 210F, and the fans wouldn't kick on low until shortly above that.

They don't go to high until an even higher temp - 223F IIRC, but check the manual to be sure.

It may be that despite where your gauge is sitting, the motor really isn't that hot at the ECT, so it doesn't kick the fans onto "HIGH".

That's why I suggest using a reader and finding out what temp the ECU THINKS the motor is.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #22
DeeJayy
GX Member

DeeJayy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
How's the oil? Sounds like a HG to me. Are you losing coolant?

If not, I agree with water pump.

After all the money to spent, what's another $60

Oil is fine. I changed the oil in january, no leaks, not watery. Not losing coolant at all either.
DeeJayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #23
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
How's the oil? Sounds like a HG to me. Are you losing coolant?

If not, I agree with water pump.

After all the money to spent, what's another $60

The first sign of a HG would be that he has white smoke coming out of his tail pipe. Then it would be milky oil. Plus his engine would idle really rough.

Here's the thing... if the light turns on, it has to be the water pump. If not, then just take out the thermostat and run without it. The OP live in Cali, so I would assume he wouldn't really miss it. I had a Cavalier without a thermostat in DC, which is known to get cold and windy, and I didn't have any problems with out that thermostat. It was just really cold in that cabin.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #24
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Pulling the thermostat may not make it run cooler - most cooling systems are designed with such and such a flow through the motor and radiator. Without the restriction of the open thermostat, the water can run by too quick, and not pick enough heat up out of the motor.

This can yield a car that pings and rattles due to being too hot, with the gauge at 1/4 ...

Or it may not on a 3.4. Dunno, but !I! sure wouldn't try that.

OTOH, there may be a restrictor you can buy to put in there in place of the thermostat. If so, the OP may try that.

But I'll stick with my notes - I don't see "water pump" on the list, and I'm curious what temp the ECU is seeing off the ECT.

RwP
Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
DeeJayy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
The first sign of a HG would be that he has white smoke coming out of his tail pipe. Then it would be milky oil. Plus his engine would idle really rough.

Here's the thing... if the light turns on, it has to be the water pump. If not, then just take out the thermostat and run without it. The OP live in Cali, so I would assume he wouldn't really miss it. I had a Cavalier without a thermostat in DC, which is known to get cold and windy, and I didn't have any problems with out that thermostat. It was just really cold in that cabin.

Kinda scared to do that. Yes I live in cali, gets crazy hot even in the winter time lol
Old 03-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #26
DeeJayy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Pulling the thermostat may not make it run cooler - most cooling systems are designed with such and such a flow through the motor and radiator. Without the restriction of the open thermostat, the water can run by too quick, and not pick enough heat up out of the motor.

This can yield a car that pings and rattles due to being too hot, with the gauge at 1/4 ...

Or it may not on a 3.4. Dunno, but !I! sure wouldn't try that.

OTOH, there may be a restrictor you can buy to put in there in place of the thermostat. If so, the OP may try that.

But I'll stick with my notes - I don't see "water pump" on the list, and I'm curious what temp the ECU is seeing off the ECT.

RwP

Yeah I talked to my mechanic/friend and he said he has an OBDII reader, he said he will bring it over. Much appreciated from everybody.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Keep us posted!
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
WIALERO
GL Member

WIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to WIALERO
Mine only heats up to a little above half way if i have my heat off and at idle heats up to half
WIALERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #29
WIALERO
GL Member

WIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these parts
One yime it over heated and the fans dusnt even kick on even with new relays still dont turn on
Old 03-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #30
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIALERO View Post
One yime it over heated and the fans dusnt even kick on even with new relays still dont turn on

if your fans don't kick on at all unplug your temp sensor and jump the plug to see what happens, if it works I would guess that is likely your problem
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #31
WIALERO
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
if your fans don't kick on at all unplug your temp sensor and jump the plug to see what happens, if it works I would guess that is likely your problem

Jump it?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #32
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
yes, when you unhook it there are two pins...take a paper clip or a small piece of wire and jump the connection...it most likely won't come on without the key on but unhook it and bridge the connection first, that is how we diagnosed mine
Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #33
WIALERO
GL Member

Oh gotchya i just got to wait till monday :/
Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #34
DeeJayy
GX Member

So OBDII reader read it the same as the car, Took it to my friend whos a mechanic and he said it's the head gasket. At his shop they don't work on head gaskets. Sooooooooo... Now my other friend and I need to learn how and actually replace my head gasket.. Should be fun.. Any tips?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #35
RalphP
GX Member

Quote:
So OBDII reader read it the same as the car

The OBDII reader does "C -------------->H"?

What was the NUMERIC values the OBDII reader was producing? Were the fans on low or high? At what temps did the fans turn on / switch to high?

RwP

Last edited by RalphP : 03-13-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Fix quote tags
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #36
03glgold
GLS member

Sounds like a pathetic excuse for a shop if they don't do head gaskets...if the shop isn't good enough to do head gaskets I wouldn't trust them to tell you if it is bad or not
Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #37
DeeJayy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
Sounds like a pathetic excuse for a shop if they don't do head gaskets...if the shop isn't good enough to do head gaskets I wouldn't trust them to tell you if it is bad or not

They do head gaskets but not on american cars. They said because they're so busy it will take forever to get done. and I need my car every day.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #38
DeeJayy
GX Member

[quote=RalphP;635217]
Quote:
So OBDII reader read it the same as the car/QUOTE]

The OBDII reader does "C -------------->H"?

What was the NUMERIC values the OBDII reader was producing? Were the fans on low or high? At what temps did the fans turn on / switch to high?

RwP

My fans don't turn on high, only low.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
RalphP
GX Member

Quote:

My fans don't turn on high, only low.

At what temp do they turn on low?

At what temp do you give up looking for high fan?

We're missing numeric values here at this side.

THAT said - there's a relay that flips them from series to parallel. It'd be worth it to see if the relay's hung or if the ECU's not kicking the relay.

RwP
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #40
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
At what temp do they turn on low?

At what temp do you give up looking for high fan?

We're missing numeric values here at this side.

THAT said - there's a relay that flips them from series to parallel. It'd be worth it to see if the relay's hung or if the ECU's not kicking the relay.

RwP

agreed. its been asked numous times.