Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #21
Sportalero

Nice car. Definitely a sleeper.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #22
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by germ@Jan 17 2005, 01:38 PM
i have a 96 monte w/ 3400 swap

pics are www.cardomain.com/id/germsws

i think we have already been to the "i need proof" stage.
not doubting just want you to show it off when it relates to the topic...what comes stock in the monte? :thumbsup:

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:07 PM   #23
Nik1128

Quote:
Originally posted by AGT+Jan 17 2005, 05:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AGT @ Jan 17 2005, 05:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-germ@Jan 17 2005, 01:38 PM
i have a 96 monte w/ 3400 swap

pics are www.cardomain.com/id/germsws

i think we have already been to the "i need proof" stage.
not doubting just want you to show it off when it relates to the topic...what comes stock in the monte? :thumbsup: [/b][/quote]
His site says he swapped out a 3100 for the 3400. :thumbsup:
Old 01-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #24
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
you built it for less than 1500? can we get a how-to or something?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #25
germ

it was stock with the 3100 and yes, i did swap out for a 2002 grand am gt 3400. did that back in march.

and i can do a "how-to", but it would be slightly different for you guys since fitment would way different.

there really isnt a "wrong" way to hook up a turbo. as long as you bolt it up correctly, it will work lol.

first things first, buy the book "Maximum Boost" by Corkey Bell (maybe its Corky?)

read it

read it again

read it one more time.

that book is the bible of home made turbo setups and teaches you how everything works and where it should be at, etc.... there's your "how-to"

now to keep it under $1500 you have to do almost ALL of the labor, fabrication, and everything else. the ONLY thing i had someone else do is the final welds on the xover and downpipe. but i tacked them together and took them to my welder.

for parts, its pretty straight forward......

turbo $250
waste gate $150
blow off valve $40
misc pipe (i.e. U bend, J bends, IC pipes) $150
flanges (xover->turbo, turbo->downpipe, header flanges for downpipe, wastegate flanges, etc....) $50
manual boost controller $10
vacume hose $15
oil lines $15
clamps $15
zip ties (lots of them) $5
oil restrictor valve (keeps the oil pressure low for the turbo and wont blow out the seals. i learned this one the hard way) $10
IC (i used an Isuzu NPR-Small) $100
silcone couplers $30
slicone reducers for MAF sensor $25

thats about $900 in parts

tools that i needed to buy...

cheap welder to tack weld the pipes $150
angle grinder to cut the pipe $15

items i needed to get in order to make it work...

PCM (i have the DHP Powertuner so i tune it myself), but you can get a standard PCM for like $200, or the tuner for $400 (i recomend the tuner so you can change things as you wish).

42.5# injectors $200

things i needed to do to the engine to ensure it would hold up....
new head gaskets and intake gaskets $100

then the cost for my guy to weld it all up for me $40

that total cost for EVERYTHING is $1700 +/-.

some things will not be as expensive, some things will be more. prices on steel have gone up.

there are many things you can do to "cut cost". like borrow a welder and angle grinder instead of buying one. get a less expensive IC. use rubber hose instead of mild steel for the IC piping, dont run over 5-7 psi and you wont need the bigger injectors, used turbo, used wastegate, used blow off valve, use home depot couplers instead of silcone, etc....

so you can get the cost WAY down there. if i went the cheap route, i could piece together a turbo kit for $900 if you just wanted to get a turbo "on the car" and running. it would be like 5 psi, but would still be nice.

luckily i havent had to many tranny issues, but they are coming on strong. i do have 196,000 miles on the STOCK ORIGINAL tranny.

i am running 10 psi daily, and will be shooting for about 13-15 psi at the track on race gas.

i think that about covers it. anything else?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:39 AM   #26
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
LOL, yeah you wanna built mine for me??? LOL
Old 01-18-2005, 10:07 AM   #27
germ

i can make pretty much the whole kit EXCEPT for the downpipe. that would be the only thing you would need to have done or do yourself.

of course i wouldnt put it together for the prices listed above, i have to make "some" money for putting it all together lol.

but yea, if anyone is interested, i can do it for sure.

if your in the Minnesota area, im sure we can do something as a "kit" at my shop and offer free install or something lol.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #28
Alerosince99

Quote:
if your in the Minnesota area, im sure we can do something as a "kit" at my shop and offer free install or something lol.

Hmm, that might interest me after my next round of installs. I'm sure ill see you at the track this next season. I would love to see it up close!
Old 01-18-2005, 11:26 AM   #29
germ

for sure man...

i dont go to Rock Falls (a.k.a. Slippery rock), there is just no point of wasting money when you know the track is gonna be poopty.

i go to Cedar Falls in Iowa. its about a 3 hour drive, but the track is MUCH better.

and if your interested in a kit, by all means, me and my buddy have this down pat now. we getting ready to put one on his monte carlo in the next month or so. and we have already had mine apart at least 6 times now and have figured out a lot of tricks that makes things VERY easy to install/repair.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #30
germ

oh, yea, by the way, the "shop" that we work out of is my buddies garage. we have an add on that we do all the work in and then the garage to install.

and we are located right in the heart of the ghetto in Minneapolis.

so if you ever want to swing by to take a look or to STS, just let me know.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #31
Alerosince99

Yeah I definately plan on only heading to cf with both cars this spring. Rock falls just ain't worth it.

I am serious about the turbo kit too. I will be doing the next round of installs around May when the camaro comes out of storage. I'll have to see how funds are at that point, but maybe by fall and definately by winter I would be ready to look at a kit.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #32
germ

sounds like a plan man.

by then i am sure the turbo setups that i will/can produce will be much better than what i got going now.

it is a homemade turbo lol, but it works, very well.

thats why things are so much cheaper when you do things yourself as opposed to a these "kits" that are all shiney and have really expensive price tags. and plus its fun to do it yourself!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #33
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
yea, there are other things to worry about as well, some of us arent just all go, we want some show, and we dont want to worry about exhaust leaks and stuff like that. HP performance has proven in the mustang community with 6 or 8 stangs pushin 500-1500 hp that they have the know how, and quality products.

dont get me wrong, i'm all for saving cash and DIY, but being in the military, and when your only car is your daily driver, you cant afford to have it all pulled apart for X amount of days.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #34
germ

my monte is my only car, i spent 6 years in the army as well. so i know where your coming from.

there are no exhaust leaks or anything of that nature so dont worry about all that jazz.

and a homemade turbo setup can be made to look pretty, but the problem with HP is the fact that they cant tune your cars and are WAY backed up and only have 1 person with a DRIVEABLE setup and he wont even support HP and their kit, phantom505 from gagt.com. so if their only driving grand am/alero is not even going to support them on their product, well i dont care how pretty it is personally, because that tells me something about how they do business.

and the fact there are tons of people that have partial kits like the one stated above, well, thats just not cool IMO.

the ONLY thing they have that looks good are the headers, but if you want to buy them seperately, your looking at ~$700. which is insane.

seriously, for UNequal length turbo headers, well i cant see them charging that price.

honestly, those headers could be made by any reputeable shop for ~$250 and then add the coating, another ~$100. so for half price, you can do it yourself.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #35
germ

oh yea, i forget to mention, that once all the parts are mocked up and ready to be placed on the car, it only takes 1 day to install it.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:05 PM   #36
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

so i was looking on PFYC and i found a supercharger kit they have for 3900. What is up with them asking for your VIN number? Thats kinda if'y like they're going to report it to GM that you bought a super or even call your insurance co. I tell you what Germ, you should put together a final price and i'm sure you could sell quite a few of those kits.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #37
germ

i would just need 1 3400 alero to show up so i can take some measurements of the engine bay to see how much room i have to work with. if i can get that done and at least 1 person that is willing to be in my area for a few days then i can set you up. keep in mind, this i dont own or run a shop or anything like that. i would be doing this to help you guys out. eventually i will be starting up my own site to promote the things i can do, but thats down the road.

if your willing to pay to play, then i can hook it up, hell, i would even pay for half of the hotel stay if you had to drive here.

and that supercharger kit is an RSM kit right? thats only an 80 HP increase. the reason they ask for the VIN is to send you a PCM that will work on your car. it verifies the OS that is on the PCM.

i EASILY pulled 150 hp more with the turbo.

i am going to say that i am close to 300 WHEEL HP, at least thats my goal.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:49 PM   #38
Alerosince99

Quote:
would just need 1 3400 alero to show up so i can take some measurements of the engine bay to see how much room i have to work with. if i can get that done and at least 1 person that is willing to be in my area for a few days then i can set you up.

I'd have no problem with you taking measurements from my car. We're probably within 10 mins of each other any way. Maybe we can work something out.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:26 PM   #39
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds good germ.... hehe, get me a price quote on full turbo kit, stage 2 turbo cam, heads, rods, pistions, rings, valves, springs, retainers, etc.... i'm looking to run about 16 psi, and eventually break 400hp at 1000ft elevation.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:27 PM   #40
germ

yea man, just let me know. if you want to meet up just shoot me a PM and i will give you my cell # and we can set something up...

on a side note, the alero and grand am is the virtually the same in the engine bay right?