Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-10-2003, 01:15 PM   #21
misslindseysue

Yeah, he just ripped it off, but I guess the plastic under the light came off too.

Also, the center piece is a bit of a pain to replace. It holds the whole radiator up. I think it was $30 or so, Overdrive bought it for me. If you want to get rid of it, go ahead, but don't unscrew it, just cut the front plastic off.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:16 PM   #22
evilinside09

one of my friends said that it channels air to the radiator to keep it from overheating. i think he's full of shat so i'm gonna tear mine off in the spring when i get springs so i don't scrape it on everything and make that annoying "SCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" noise
Old 12-12-2003, 07:56 PM   #23
bdyman

one of my friends said that it channels air to the radiator to keep it from overheating.
^^^huh??...lol........no it doesn`t
Also, the center piece is a bit of a pain to replace. It holds the whole radiator up
huh???.....lol......the center air refletor bolts to the bottom of the core support
the sides ya guys are talkin about are part of the fender liner
use a cut of wheel to make a nice even line
Old 12-16-2003, 05:33 PM   #24
fiestyalerogirl81

yeah My black plastic fell off too, just the center piece. I think I lost somewhere on the highway out there. Before it cracked and i did a quick fix to it, well when i went to fix it another way, the thing was gone, Just the outter corners are there. I havent lost anything from my engine yet and its been like this for a few months.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:09 PM   #25
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Just busted the passenger side piece off
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:11 PM   #26
nex

ahah!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:23 AM   #27
PaulVS

I've replaced both sides already because they got cracked. Once was from going over a truck-tire tread on the highway, and the other cracked going a little too far over a parking curb.

The plastic they use really sucks. They should use rubber instead that isn't so freakin' brittle.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:00 PM   #28
aLeRogrL21
GL Member

aLeRogrL21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to aLeRogrL21
I have the center one on and sawed off the side ones...because they would be torn.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:40 PM   #29
blueyezalero

My passenger side is broken, it looks like two upside down triangles on that side. I have no idea how it broke. I live in the south and we get snow maybe every 3 yrs and it's just flakes. I did run over someone's blown out tire on the expressway doing about 85. It pushed my radiator in but did not break my center piece of plastic. I would like to take mine off too.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:25 PM   #30
jordan
GX Member

jordan is an unknown quantity at this point
Kinda strange. Never had a problem with that black piece under the front end before. These Winnipeg winter become pretty harsh too with deep snow.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:14 AM   #31
alerospeed2003

my middle peice is missing.......i think i am going to go ahead and cut the other two peices off as well, it doesn't look right. kinda looks like a big, gapped-tooth smile.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #32
alero(hed)

if it's not important, i'd really like to take mine off... it drags ass on all the dips at the college... i hate it... i've even backed up off a curb and i thought i broke it, but i bent the front brake line down and the damn plastic thing was still there... mine seems to be indestructible issed:
Old 01-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #33
jonez

I have taken both the side peices off, still need to take the front. Will have to take the center peice off this weekend now that I know it isn't important anymore.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:42 AM   #34
chewy

Got a big chunk out of the driver's side corner--caught some ice pulling out of the driveway and snapped right off. Going to take off both left and right wings and leave center piece for now.

Ya, a nice flexible rubber piece would have been nice--stupid GM
Old 03-08-2005, 11:47 PM   #35
RAVAGE214

The only part of mine that has broken is hte driver side peice form... hell i dont rember. But ive hit curbs a few times with it adn scraped it over dips in the road and it has never broek, hell i wentover a grate today at like 50 that i didnt know was liek WAY lo all of a sudden BAM sounded like the whole front bumper got pounded off, i circled around and didint see any debree and the peice looked fine when i got home. its been pretty damn tough for me soo far.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:02 AM   #36
FrankNY
GX Member

FrankNY is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FrankNY
The center piece (which all cars have) is to force air into the radiator to help cool it. It only actually cools if you're going a constant 30mph or faster. In the winter you really don't need it, but in the summer, it'll keep the fans from running all the time.
FrankNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:09 AM   #37
csealy_31

The pieces serve two purposes. All three together work to keep air out from under the vehicle to keep it from lifting when you're cruising at high speed or you are cruising at say 70+ into a 30+ head wind. If you have ever driven an older car you will know what I am talking about ('60's to 70's). The middle piece also serves to direct air into the radiator. Without it air slips under the radiator instead of damming up and flowing up and through. It is cheap plastic because if it was metal we would all be crying the blues every time we hit a curb or road kill, or tire fragment, or..well you get the picture.
Here is a great web page, scroll about halfway down...
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2672.html
Old 03-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #38
bluephoAm

It also helps you lose tools which accidently fall into the engine bay.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #39
FrankNY
GX Member

FrankNY is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FrankNY
Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsman@Dec 9 2003, 09:24 PM
my center broke awhile back. i would like to replace it.

does anyone have the part number so i could order it thru gmpartsdirect
GM Part# 22706966 http://www.gmpartsdirect.com has it for $23.70 plus 7.95 (S&H) :thumbsup:
FrankNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #40
jackal

It isn't important, but it does channel air to the radiator to help keep it cool.