Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
MCKAlero

Hello all,
I just bought an alero and im installing a system. I got the deck and rca's and remote cable to the trunk without any problems. However, I am now trying to figure out where to route the power cabe from the hood into the car and I can not seem to find any suitable firewalls. Anyone else have previous experience in routing thier power cable? am I blind? Or am i stuck having to drill a hole? Anyways it is a 4 gauge cable.
Thanks for any help you can give,
Ryan
Old 01-08-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Johnnyangel

There should be a good sized grommet in the firewall on the driver's side already, you just have to look for it. Run the cable under the sill plate on the driver's side- plenty of room under there. The trim just pops up.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
loudalero

Or check the passenger side under the carpet theres a grommet there that is not used and it worked great for me when I installed mine.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
boarder211

I actually ran some 4 gauge through the grommet on the DS last month with AleroSS. Before I was using an 8 gauge, and it would fit through the hole on the PS, but the 4 gauge was WAY too big. When you remove the mat and the plastic cover on the underside of the dash, you'll see a grommet with a bunch of wires coming out through it. I used an exacto knife to make a small cut in the grommet and sent the wire through there. Then I pulled it up beside the fuse and relay center using a coat hanger. This saved me like 3-4 feet of total wiring length.... which, at a couple of bucks a foot, was well worth the effort.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Im about to run the 4awg in my aler-hoe, got any pics?

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
MCKAlero

Thanks for all the posts, I actually have not even had a chance to run the power cable because it took me forever to get the power cable attached to the battery, stupid side mount.... Anyway it turns out there is a side mount adapter for GM vehicles that makes it whole lot easier, so it is too bad I did not know that earlier. I will let you all know how it goes tommorow.
Thanks
Old 01-10-2004, 11:52 PM   #7
boarder211

I just used a 4 gauge lug terminal. I'd run out and take pictures, but it's just too damn cold to do any work on my car right now... I still haven't completed the wiring job that I started a couple of weeks ago... Damn working on the nice days, and school on all of the other ones!
Old 01-13-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
MCKAlero

Thanks for all the help!
I finally got it installed and now have some boom in my car! I found the grommet that Johnnyangel suggested and it worked perfectly.