Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Regional Discussions & Meets > Midwest

Old 09-15-2004, 03:00 PM   #1
misslindseysue

Smile

This morning, against my better judgement, but mostly without a choice, I agreed to drive to Ecorse to deliver a proposal to a potential client. Of course we have no company vehicles available for our use (another point of contention). So I had to drive the 40 miles down there in the Alero. This involves taking I-696E to M-10 south to I-75 south to Jeffereson. Not any highways that I take the Alero on if I have a choice.
I hit a HUGE pothole on the Lodge (M 10). I had dodged a few, but this one was just hiding in a bunch of rough but patched pavement. BAM! It hurt I hit so hard. But that's just background.
I'm driving I-75 south past Schaffer. See State Cop pull up behind me. I think nothing of it, since I'm doing 55 (speed limit) in the right lane behind a semi. I haven't been speeding or changing lanes, since I have no idea where I'm going. Then he turns his light on. WTF? I'm thinking that I just may have blown a tire on that pothole, he noticed and was going to tell me. Or that I had a lightbulb out.
So I pull over, turn off the radio, roll down both windows (both cops got out) and wait. I've learned not to take off my seatbelt. He comes, asks for my license. "Ok, Miss Smith, do you have your proof of insurance and registration?" I say yes, hand it to him, still waiting to see what the deal is. Then. "I pulled you over for your window tint (Voice in my head: You don't have better things to do that harass people otherwise obeying the law?!). You can only have a four inch strip across the top of the window." I say "Oh, ok...." He says he'll be back and goes and gets in the car. I wait. He's talking to other cop. Finally comes back. "I wrote you a ticket, but my partner convinced me to make it waivable. If the court won't do it I'll make sure it gets taken care of. You just have to prove that it's removed. Call this number." Not having a chance to say anything else, I just said thanks and he left.
Anyone know an eye doctor in the metro area who will write me a prescription for tint? My eyes actually are sensitive to light, which is most of the reason I did it.
I'm just so f'in pissed. I haven't had any problems in the 'burbs, and I see lots of cops. I have to drive downtown for work, and this happens.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
i hate the cops. lol whenever i see one anywhere i just put windows down. its a habit. the tickit is 90.00 just pay it and dont worry about. 90 isnt much
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
misslindseysue

No, ticket goes away if I take the tint off. But I have to drive back downtown to prove it. If I get a prescription, I can just fax it in, it'll be done with. So I'd rather spend the money on that and not have to worry about it anymore.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
I feel bad for you guys. Cops down here don't give a crap. My car is WAAAAAY illegal, first the strip on the windshield is way past the AS1 line which is the legal limit in MO, and then I have 5% tint on the front windows, legal limit is 35%.

I've been pulled over a few times for other things and the cops havent even mentioned it.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:35 PM   #5
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
i can't believe state troopers out in Ecorse pulled u over for that 3/5ths of the cars down their are louder then airplanes or have many other small infractions.
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #6
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
oh ya i feel your anger
cicero cop long story short had a hard on for me both cars i had were tinted constanly ticked back and forth on my tahoe pulls me over cuffs me impounds my tahoe and takes me to the cicero department
$1,900 later tahoe free i am free uncle finds out rips the captin a new ass<<big wig in cicero he was the cop that f***ed with got suspened the cop thought i was a drug dealer and a gang banger
ya i feel your anger
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:50 PM   #7
Sundayalero
GL Member

Sundayalero is an unknown quantity at this point
That sucks! Since you were using your vehicle for work, maybe (in some states that law says yes) you can get the place you work for to pay for the ticket or to get the tint removed..... That is of course if you don't get the precscription...
<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas. Just roll the roof back and screw it on, grease the face with white tanning butter and move out with the music at top volume, and at least a pint of ether.
-From the book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson </span>
Sundayalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:03 PM   #8
misslindseysue

Nope, I'm screwed as far as using it for work goes. The employee handbook is very specific. If it's my fault, I pay.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #9
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
in MI the tint law according to the International Film Assocaition that you are allowned to have any darkness of tint on all windows in any color as long as it is Net Tint otherwise all other tint is illegal.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:29 PM   #10
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Excuse me you cant have tint on your front wind shield :thumbsup:
Old 09-15-2004, 06:12 PM   #11
blueyezalero

I don't understand why you can't have that 4 inch strip of tint anyways??? I drive looking straight ahead not up at the sky. Manufacters put tint on their anyways just a light shade of blue. Take it off yourself and have it put back on. Should cost no more then 15$ to get another put on. I know the principle is that the cop had nothing better to do then bug you about tint.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #12
StockAlero00
Hypnotized

StockAlero00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to StockAlero00
that sucks Lindsey. your tint is 20% right? I have 35 in front and 5 in back, i have passed a few cops, no problem yet. (knock on wood)
Old 09-15-2004, 11:07 PM   #13
Oldsmopimp

I got popped for tint in the alero. But these IL state fedz had been harrising me for two months. Seeing a young lad in multiple cars(all tinted of course) made them wonder.
Got searhed twice, in two diffrent cars, same cop, within months.
In the alero, biatch called the K-9's cause she was pissed that both occurnces I refused to let them search.
Long story short I got REAL DAMN lucky, and I am sooooooo aware of whats in my car now a days.
Anyway, got ticket for tint in the alero, never took it off. Payed the 75 bones, and told the judge I removed it. No hassle since.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:18 AM   #14
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

cutelilcntrygrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Like blueyez said, just strip it and have it re-tinted. That would be the cheapest and easiest thing to do.

http://www.myspace.com/smr612
cutelilcntrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 02:35 PM   #15
misslindseysue

Quote:
Originally posted by cutelilcntrygrl@Sep 15 2004, 11:18 PM
Like blueyez said, just strip it and have it re-tinted. That would be the cheapest and easiest thing to do.
I could do that, but I really don't want to have to take it off. I'd hope the guy would give me a break to re-do it, but I don't want to have to pay for it.

I called my doctor, so we'll see if she'll write me a script for it. That should be the best, and permanent solution. Otherwise I'm going to call the court and ask if I can fax in a receipt for getting it removed as proof. Removing it will be my absolute last resort.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:53 PM   #16
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

As I said earlier all tint levels and colors are legal on all windows but your front windshield as long as it is Net tint all others are illegal in MI if your tint is Net then go to court with it if it is another kind then remove it show the cop he will take away your ticket and then install the legal type of tint for the state. And iam not joking there is such a thing call the
International Window Film AssociationAnd Net Film is Window tint and Window combined Iam not sure what that means either.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:26 PM   #17
misslindseysue

What that refers to is the net amount of light that passes through the window. Most cars come with a little tint from the factory. Ever notice that everything looks a tinge green from inside your car? Now, say 35% is legal in your state, so you put 35% film tint on your car. It's actually not legal if the law is NET, because they measure the light that gets through the window and the tint. That small amount of tint in the window itself will add to the film and actually let less light through.

So, thanks for the research, but I'm still screwed. The cop was right, in MI you can't have more than a 4" strip on the top of the windows in front, and anything in the back, as long as it isn't more than 35% reflective. The column that is my friend is the medical? YES.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:42 AM   #18
misslindseysue

UPDATE:
Got a prescription faxed from my doctor this morning (she rules!). Then I called the court, waited on hold for 10 minutes, and was told that my ticket wasn't "in the system yet" and I had to call back next week. But I should be able to take care of it pretty easily then.