Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 03-02-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Well, most of it anyways. New kenwood head unit, kenwood 10 disc cd changer, and Sirius radio. I managed to get a sub box for dirt cheap too. But as of the moment, I have no subs or amps.

I'll be doing Infinity Kappa Perfect speakers and subs. And as for the amps. Profile CL1200 for the subs, and a Profile CL640 for the speakers.

The install was pretty easy, running wires wasn't an issue, the only thing I had trouble with was the head unit. it was a little deep for the dash. So out came the dremel and some plastic stuff went bye bye. I still need to align the Sirius antennae better and stick the tail down, but it's good for now, I just wanted the damn thing to work. I might actually see if I can get away mounting the antennae in the trunk, that way I still have sleek body lines.

Of course, saying I did this is nothing without pictures, or a video clip of the head unit in action. So, for your viewing pleasure!

http://smokinamd.no-ip.com/car/system/
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:31 AM   #2
99blackalero

sweet...always liked the look of the new kenwood decks
Old 03-02-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
misslindseysue

I have an amp you can have. I think two of the channels are still good. It was 4 x 150, just kinda smells like burnt electronics now. I probly have a blown 12, too.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:15 AM   #4
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
www.cmttrading.com

2000wattx2channel american pro $150, friends got one and its great
Old 03-02-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
cwm33

very pretty deck...good job! :thumbsup:
Old 03-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
Maverick

I think I bought the same deck (or similar) off of a buddy ... Kenwood Camilion deck. Was it hard to install? I want to attempt it but I have to wait to get the install kit and wiring harness.... also got a 10 disc changer for my system. I already have the sub int though... 12" Rockford HE with Rockford mono amp. The stuff I bought off my buddy also has a 800W orion amp for the rest of the system.

Anyone know how easy it is to install a 4 channel amp to all the speakera? I've never attempted it before, but I'm not scared of trying.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
Voodosoup

You can just stick your satellite radio antenna up on the rear deck inside the car, that's where mine is and it works fine. Others have done the same.
I just don't like the look of the antenna mounted on the roof or trunk.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:12 PM   #8
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Installing the head unit was a bit tricky. I had to cut part of the dash behind it in order for it to fit. I had to do the same on my brothers 97 Grand Am GT as well. As for installing the amp, thats easy, only tricky part is running the wires, but anyone can accomplish that if the know how to hide stuff.

if you want to know, the head unit is the KDC-MP822. Changer is the KDC-C719. And the Sirius tuner is the KTC-SR902. As for the Sirius antenna, it is the Terk SIR3. I tried mounting it in the trunk, but it woudln't keep a signal. So it had to go on the roof.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:19 PM   #9
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
sorry to jack your thread smokine...but i have a nice switch panel that would look kick ass under that head-unit...lol
Old 03-03-2004, 06:25 PM   #10
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johny_boy32@Mar 3 2004, 11:19 PM
sorry to jack your thread smokine...but i have a nice switch panel that would look kick ass under that head-unit...lol
I saw that when I was digging around. Unfourtantly, I have nothing that would require switches at the moment. I've thought about doing Blue Underbody lights, but that just screams "Rice" to me. Although, that might look sweet on my car. I'd much rather spend the money on something that does something though. Like a CAI, or an SLP Exhaust system, or lowering springs, etc, etc.

I'll keep you in mind though if I change my mind.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #11
alerojunkie

I have the same antenna for my sirius radio. I put it on the roof towards the front of the car. I hated it at first, but it grew on me. Now I think it looks pretty damn good and adds to the car (its all about what you think, not others). Yeah you would not get a signal in the trunk and I wouldn't recommend you put it in the car. You would have more loss of reception than if you put on the roof.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #12
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
nice setup, kenwood isnt my thing but nice setup :thumbsup:
My weekends project is both a full system redo in my alero and a custom fiberglass trunk panels, sub box and amp rack in my buddys Gay-fire, we keep busy :P

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:47 PM   #13
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

Well, it's nearing completion. I decided against Kappa Perfects for the subs for now, too rich for my blood. Plus getting References for "buy one get one free" was a determining factor. 5 year warantee too.

Ordered the amps for the subs a few nights ago. 2 Kenwood 7251s. 460watts per sub is going to be pretty nice.

http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/1614

Decided against the Profile amps, cause I hear they suck. Plus, I'd rather have more power!

Here's a shot of my trunk now.

And heres a glory shot of the sirius decal I got.

The bubbles in the sunstrip have all gone away now, so that looks sweet now.

Old 04-17-2004, 12:17 PM   #14
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

Well, I've ordered some speakers and other miscellaneous items.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RzRKXwSoQQu/c...a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

Went with these because I heared the Kappa 4x6 were too deep to use.

And I'll order these when they get back in stock. Those should fit fine in the stock tweeter location, and if not, with a little modding they should.

Run those of my amp in parallel for a load of 2 ohms.

And finally, for the rear 6x9s.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RzRKXwSoQQu/c...a=0&cc=01&avf=N

And the amp that I have yet to order for the speakers.

I still need a distribution block and some power wires. From the battery back though I'll be running a 1/0 gauge power kit with a 200 amp fuse. Found a street wires kit off Buy.com for $60.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:41 AM   #15
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

Well, several months later and $2500 later, I'm done. I might get another amp for the subs later, but being unemployed at the moment makes that a bit difficult.

The Kappa 4x6's ended up fitting fine in the doors afterall, the Kappa 6x9's took a lot of work to make fit. Had to trim up the rear deck a bunch to slide them in. The tweeters? Molded them into the stock location.

Dynamated the rear deck, the doors, the trunk lid, and the license plate.

Got bored (damn being unemployed), so I went out and took some pics of it.

A few things to point out...look at the magnet on that 6x9, its FREAKING huge. Sounds awesome though. Also notice the gap between the amps and the short RCA cable coming off of the sub amp? Uh huh, made it so that hooking up the second sub amp when I get it will be a piece of cake.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:42 AM   #16
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
nice set up dude and smart thinking by leaving space for that amp