Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
jordan89
GX Member

jordan89 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jordan89
evil clicking noise

almighty im a car rookie and i have this evil clicking like when you have a burnt out light only it happens all the time ,like it goes fast then when i use the blinker it stops for like a mnute then starts up again,i thought it was the relay but it isn't i bought a new one and its still doing that noise,thought it was the lights i changed all the bulbs well other then the trunk one but its working right.so im stumped
any info would be greatly appreciated
jordan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Sounds like the Hazzard switch.

Aleros were recalled for this Take to a GM dealer and fix for free

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
jordan89
GX Member

do you mean the thing behind the 4way flasher button?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The entire flasher unit

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
jordan89
GX Member

well thank you ,my older brother is a mechanic and he dont even have a clue so im guessing he isnt the best mechanic lol well thanks again
Old 11-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think this issue has to do with the Hazard recall. He didn't saw the blinkers stopped working every once in awhile, only that it sometimes clicks faster than normal. This is an issue with dirty contacts on the multi-function switch. I'll post up the "how to" I found on grandamgt.com
Your father is mistaken
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
This guide has been written to help you repair the random signal switch sounds that occur when the multi-function switch contacts are dirty. This signal clicking just occurs randomly and is not related in any way to the flasher relay switch recall. If you are experiencing random signal clicking and want to fix it, this thread is for you.

Tools Required:
  • T-10 Torx Screwdriver
  • T-20 Torx Screwdriver
  • Electronic Contact Cleaner
  • Cotton Swabs
  • Di-Electric Grease
  • Tape
This repair will require you to remove the multi-function switch and place it on your desk or workbench to finish the repair. The multi-function switch is a component of the steering column, and includes both the Signal/Headlights arm, and the Wiper arm.

Step One - Exposing the Multi-function Switch
  1. Remove the three screws from the bottom of the steering column's plastic casing with a Torx T-20 Screwdriver.
  2. Remove the top half of the plastic steering column cover by gently lifting it from the bottom half, unsnapping it gently.
Step Two - Removing the Multi-function Switch
  1. Carefully unplug each of the three wire harnesses by gently lifting their plastic retaining clips, and pulling out.
  2. With a Torx T-20 Screwdriver, remove the screw from the top center of the exposed multi-function switch.
  3. Gently lift the multi-function switch clear from the steering column and bring it inside to your desk or workbench.
Step Three - Opening the Switch
  1. Wrap the wiper arm side of the multi-function switch with a few layers of scotch tape to prevent the whole unit from opening up and losing springs when we remove the screws.
  2. Remove all of the screws on the back of the multi-function switch with a Torx T-10 screwdriver.
Step Four - Cleaning the Switch
  1. Gently pry open the multi-function switch about half on inch at the center of the signal arm side to access the dirty signal switch.
  2. Simply wipe off the dirty contacts inside with a few cotton swabs. I ended up with four very dirty cotton swabs. (Edit - To determine which contacts are for the signal switch, simply move the arm up or down as you would when driving and note the location of the contacts as they move)
  3. Put a coating of fresh di-electric grease on a cotton swab and gently apply the grease to both switch contacts.
  4. Reclose the multi-function switch with all of the screws and remove the tape. Regrease the spring loaded horn pin on the front if you accidentally removed the original coating.
Step Five - Re-installing the Multi-function Switch
  1. Reinstall the multi-function switch, but be very careful to DEPRESS the spring loaded horn pin, or your horn will not work when you are finished.
  2. Reconnect the electrical harnesses to the multi-function switch.
  3. Replace the screw at the top of the multi-function switch.
  4. Re-cover the steering column with the top plastic cover, and reinstall the three screws from the bottom.
Your father is mistaken
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote