Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
Steven01
GL Member

Steven01 is on a distinguished road
Transmission Question

ok well I have bought my filter and my gasket for my 01 alero 2.4 auto. Now i heard few things soo i got a few questions.

I Just have to purchase oil and im thinking of gettin royal purple for the tranny. but i heard that when you drop the pan and filter you dont Get all the oil?

Soo that means i would be mixin the synthetic with w,e.?? Is this going to be alight? what would be the best thing to do for this? thanks you
Steven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
The mixing of fluids itself won't hurt anything, but I would not use synthetic tranny fluid. Been there done that on other cars, just use conventional fluid mmm k
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Steven01
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWill View Post
The mixing of fluids itself won't hurt anything, but I would not use synthetic tranny fluid. Been there done that on other cars, just use conventional fluid mmm k

Ok buy why is that? I live in winnipeg manitoba. we get Winter. I would think synthetic would be way better in the -30 weather...??
Old 11-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
CactusWill
GLS member

The problem is, imo, that transmissions need a certain level of friction to function properly. I've put synthetic fluid in brand new cars with 10k miles, and the transmission will start slipping, likely because the fluid is too slippery and the transmission was not designed to operate with that specific fluid.

Your concern about cold weather is a positive, not a negative. Heat is the primary cause of transmission failure. Since you live in a cold area, you don't have to worry about heat.

Use royal purple oil in your engine, not your transmission.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
That makes no sense, the oil companies have to test whether or not their transmission fluids meet the manufacturers specifications for foaming, friction and lubricity regardless of if it's synthetic or conventional. Many manufacturers have factory fill with synthetic transmission fluids.

Now if the transmission fluid is not made to meet the GM spec that is appropriate for the Alero, that could be a problem. It should be clearly labeled on the bottle.

Also, GM approves and recommends that all future services for automatic transmissions requiring Dexron III are to be filled with Dexron VI.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
CactusWill
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
That makes no sense, the oil companies have to test whether or not their transmission fluids meet the manufacturers specifications for foaming, friction and lubricity regardless of if it's synthetic or conventional. Many manufacturers have factory fill with synthetic transmission fluids.

Fluids need to meet or exceed certain standards.... But that does not account for the possibility that a fluid is too slippery. I'm sure that water or deep fryer oil might also pass certain standards, but would you put those in your car just because they did?

And sure, many manufacturers fill manual transmissions with synthetic fluid. As for chrysler ATF and ford's mercon V, those are conventional fluids with semi synthetic additives, not fully synthetic. And once again, those transmissions are designed for those fluids specifically. And those transmissions STILL suck.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Cliff8928

In order to meet the specs it has to meet the friction specs. That's why say Mobil1 synthetic trans fluid is specified to replace Dexron III / Mercon fluid. However it doesn't have the correct level of friction modifiers for the slicker Chrysler ATF+4 and on the contrary, cannot replace ford Type F fluid which has no friction modifier.

If i recall correctly, the Mercedes-Benz 722.6 (and newer) transmissions use a 100% synthetic fluid. Those are in most models since around 94? That design trans is also used in the Chrysler LX cars.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
CactusWill
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
If i recall correctly, the Mercedes-Benz 722.6 (and newer) transmissions use a 100% synthetic fluid. Those are in most models since around 94? That design trans is also used in the Chrysler LX cars.

So that represents less than 1% of all vehicles then? We're talking about aleros here, not mercedes.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #9
Cliff8928

That's still irrelevant. As long as it meets the requirements it's fine. Synthetic or not. I've used Mobil 1 ATF in plenty of GMs with no adverse effects.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
Steven01
GL Member

Ok . soo Royal purpal would Be fine?? it says rite on the site that it meets GM dex specs.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
CactusWill
GLS member

Its not going to damage anything, but I personally have not had good results with it thats all.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
Steven01
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWill View Post
Its not going to damage anything, but I personally have not had good results with it thats all.

Ok sounds Good. Just 1 last question. What did you find? DID it do anything BAD OR GOOD?? Just wanna know exaclly what is going on. It has to be done and When my car sits out side at -30 with like a wind chill of -45 Its alot easyer on transmission if synthetic?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:37 AM   #13
CactusWill
GLS member

I've put it in brand new transmissions and they would slip, so I'd have to put conventional back in. Thats just my experience with it.

You don't have to worry about the cold with transmissions, its heat that ruins trannies.