Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
nhartwell

Water Pump is F*cked?

Timeline of events:

1 month ago.. replaced leaking and cracked water outlet

Yesterday.. Large puddle of antifreeze under car (back left side of engine)
I believe this is where the waterpump is located

Today.. Change Oil light came on along with Service Engine light 1000 miles short of 3000.

---

First, I think I need a new waterpump. I checked and the whole area is soaked and it looks like it is the waterpump leaking alot!

Second, how should I go about getting this fixed:
Professionally: How much will it cost
Myself: Parts needed + cost, ease of fix, time, and i understand it involves the timing.

---

Next, the change oil light and check engine light:

I made sure there was no water from the antifreeze coolant in the oil by checking for milky spots.

However, my oil is a quarter down.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Which motor do you have, if you have the 3400 could it be the LIM gasket?

Change oil light, covered many times, reset button inside drivers side fuse box

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
nhartwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Which motor do you have, if you have the 3400 could it be the LIM gasket?

Change oil light, covered many times, reset button inside drivers side fuse box

Aleromod.com > Performance Related > 2.4L Twin-Cam Specific

HEHE
Old 01-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
alright dude, the change oil light is no big deal, you just forgot to reset it when you changed the oil. Mine does that too, i just pop open the fuse box and reset it, so that problem is out of the way

cant really help you with the other stuff cause im a window licker
Old 01-06-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
window licker, hahaha, at least he admits it. Sounds like a water pump to me. Check the hood liner for coolant spray off the belt, that is the best way i know to find out for sure.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
if it is soaked where you say then probably is water pump. changing the water pump is no easy task. if you don't have a garage, lots of tools, jackS and good mechanical knowledge and skill then go to a shop. a water pump is like $60-$80 but for a shop to do it is like $600 only because a lot is involved.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Water Pump Replacement 2.4 L
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. <LI type=1>Drain the coolant. Recover the coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
  3. <LI type=1>Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  4. <LI type=1>Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield.
  5. <LI type=1>Remove the heat wrap from the heater hose.
  6. <LI type=1>Remove the coolant inlet housing bolt through the exhaust manifold.
  7. <LI type=1>Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  8. <LI type=1>Remove the exhaust manifold brace-to-manifold bolt.
  9. <LI type=1>Remove the manifold-to-exhaust pipe studs.
  10. Remove the heater outlet pipe bracket-to-transmission bolt.
  11. <LI type=1>Remove the coolant inlet housing assembly- to-water pump cover bolt.
  12. <LI type=1>Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement in Engine Exhaust.
    Important

Do not rotate flex coupling more than 4 degrees as damage may occur.

<LI type=1>Pull down and back on the exhaust manifold pipe in order to disengage the pipe from the exhaust manifold.
  13. <LI type=1>Disconnect the coolant inlet pipe from the oil pan. Remove the pipe. <LI type=1>Lower the vehicle.
  14. <LI type=1>Remove the brake vacuum pipe from the cam housing.
  15. <LI type=1>Remove the exhaust manifold to cylinder head retaining nuts.
  16. <LI type=1>Remove the exhaust manifold. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.4L.
  17. <LI type=1>Remove the seals and the gaskets of the exhaust manifold.
  18. <LI type=1>Disconnect the heater hose quick connect from the heater outlet pipe.
  19. <LI type=1>Remove the front timing chain cover. Refer to Timing Chain Housing Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.4L.
  20. Remove the timing chain tensioner. Refer to Timing Chain, Sprockets, and/or Tensioner Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.4L.
  21. Remove the water pump cover-to-cylinder block bolts.
  22. <LI type=1>Remove the 3 water pump-to-timing chain housing nuts.
  23. <LI type=1>Remove the water pump and cover assembly.
  24. <LI type=1>Remove the water pump cover-to-coolant pump assembly bolts.
  25. Clean all sealing surfaces.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

1. <LI type=1>Install the water pump cover to the water pump assembly.
  2. Install the pump cover bolts. Hand tighten the bolts.
  3. <LI type=1>Install the cover-to-block bolts. Hand tighten the bolts.
  4. <LI type=1>Install the coolant pump-to-timing chain housing nuts. Hand tighten the nuts.
  5. <LI type=1>Lubricate the O-ring on the coolant inlet pipe with an antifreeze solution.
  6. <LI type=1>Slide the pipe into the water pump cover.
  7. Install the bolts. Hand tighten the bolts.
  8. <LI type=1>Torque in sequence as follows:
    1. <LI type=A>Tighten the pump assembly-to-timing chain housing nuts. Tighten Tighten nuts to 26 N·m (19 lb ft).
      <LI type=A>Tighten the pump cover-to-pump assembly bolts. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 14 N·m (124 lb in).
      <LI type=A>Tighten the coolant pump cover-to-engine block bolts. Tighten the bottom bolt first. Tighten Tighten bolts to 26 N·m (19 lb ft).
    2. Tighten the coolant inlet pipe assembly-to-coolant pump cover bolts. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 14 N·m (124 lb in).
  9. <LI type=1>Install the exhaust manifold and install new gaskets. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.4L.
  10. <LI type=1>Install the exhaust manifold-to-cylinder head retaining nuts.
  11. <LI type=1>Connect the brake vacuum pipe to the cam housing.
  12. <LI type=1>Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  13. <LI type=1>Index the exhaust manifold bolts into the exhaust pipe flange. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement in Engine Exhaust.
  14. <LI type=1>Install the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold.
  15. <LI type=1>Install the heater outlet pipe bracket to the transmission.
  16. <LI type=1>Turn exhaust both bolts in evenly in order to avoid roostering the exhaust pipe and binding the bolts. Turn in the bolts until the bolts are fully seated.
  17. <LI type=1>Install the coolant inlet pipe to the oil pan. Tighten Tighten nuts to 26 N·m (19 lb ft).
    <LI type=1>Install the timing chain tensioner. Refer to Timing Chain, Sprockets, and/or Tensioner Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.4L.
  18. <LI type=1>Install the timing chain cover. Refer to Timing Chain Housing Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.4L.
  19. <LI type=1>Lower the vehicle. <LI type=1>Install the exhaust manifold brace to the manifold bolt.
  20. <LI type=1>Install the manifold to the exhaust pipe nuts. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement in Exhaust System.
  21. <LI type=1>Install the heater hose to the heater pipe.
  22. <LI type=1>Inspect the quick connect retainer. Pull on the heater hose in order to verify the connection.
  23. <LI type=1>Install the upper heat shield to the exhaust manifold.
  24. <LI type=1>Connect the oxygen sensor connector.
  25. <LI type=1>Fill the radiator with coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
  26. <LI type=1>Connect the negative battery cable.
  27. Inspect the system for leaks.