Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
S_Gibson

I was reading the owners manual for my wifes car today after her Tire Pressure light came on. Added air to one of the tires and had to figure out how to reset it.

Anyway it says the light comes on when it is time to change the oil. Does this mean GM is saying I only have to change the oil every year or within 2 tanks of fuel (approx. 570miles) after the light comes on? I find this hard to believe. I bought an extended waranty on this car that covers it until it has over 90,000 miles and the terms of the agreement are that I follow what is indicated in the owners manual.

So far based on that I don't have to change the transmission filter or fluid (since our driving doesn't dictate it). I only have to service the cooling system every 5 years or 50,000 miles and use Dex-Cool antifreeze (still have 1 1/2 years or 7000 miles). I haven't finished reading all the maintenance requirements in the manual, but I gotta ask. What is the deal with the light that ask you to change the oil? This seems crazy. I grew up in a house where my dad was dedicated to 3month, 3000 miles. I've alway went 5 months or 5000 miles in everything I owned. Now I find a light that tells me to change it. The book was vague on what the exact criteria are, but it seems to use many variables.

I'm just curious I guess I'll read the rest of the box tomorrow, list the maintenance requirements for the car based on the owners manual and both of the warantys we have on this car. Extended GM warranty is good til October and the other one is 4 years and 48,000 miles from last month when we bought it.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
its a dummy light. if you wait for it to come on before you change your oil you are a dummy. change it every 3k miles.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
StackS 757
GX Member

StackS 757 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got mine changed and they didnt know/reset the light.. can I reset it myself or what
[22:38] Schmoove: my roomate was like is that your boys car?
[22:38] Schmoove: first I thought u stole some poop
[22:38] StackS 757: haha
[22:38] StackS 757: y he ask that
[22:38] Schmoove: then he was like that boy got crazy bass
[22:38] StackS 757: lol
[22:39] Schmoove: lol
StackS 757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
yes you can reset it yourself. remove the drivers side fuse cover. open the door and its on the end of the dash board. turn the car to acc and push the reset button, the change oil light should flash, or the low tire pressure will flash. if the tire pressure light is flashing press reset again. once you have the oil light flashing simply push the reset button again but hold it down this time unitl it chimes. voila.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
unless you have a newer model without the reset button, then you just turn the key to "on" and press down on the gas pedal 3 times...light will flash..i'm assuming you'll get a dinger (took my dinger out with aftermarket radio) and its gonzo.

Whatever you do....dont wait for that light to come on before you change your oil...
Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by jackal2000@Jan 9 2006, 09:04 PM
its a dummy light. if you wait for it to come on before you change your oil you are a dummy. change it every 3k miles.
Guess I'm a dummy then cuz I do it at ~5K miles. 3K mile reccommendation only really applies if you use oil that cost less than $1/Q cuz the detergent packages they put in those, is well, non existant.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
Trickyslick
V.I.P. Member

Trickyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I get mine done at the dealer and the light came on 2 weeks before it was due. Yeah I too do it at 5,000 miles...my car...my ways.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231641/1
Trickyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
green99gls

I would recommend changing it sooner then the 5k that some are saying.

I used to change mine at 5k with a 7k filter and Mobil 1 synthetic but it just came back to bite me yesterday. When I was driving through town my car stating idling real funny and the rpms were all over the place. By the time I was able to get it to a mechanic about 10 minutes away the engine was making loud noises. The shop called me today and said they did not see a drop of oil in the engine.

Never saw any oil spots on the driveway, the low oil light never came on, and the red oil light never light up either but now I have to chose between dropping $3k on a new motor or getting rid of the car and buying something much more fuel efficient.

Lesson learned. I will never go beyond 4k miles regardless of what kind of oil filter I put on my car.