Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-27-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
tenny

My ABS are comming on all the time, my car is very dangerous and I cannot even drive it now. Even in slush the abs comes on and the car takes a very very long time to stop. My question is, would worn pads/rotors do this? basically just wondering if its something i can fix myself by replacing the pads and rotors, or if I should jsut take it into the shop.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Mr_White
Mile High Club

Mr_White is an unknown quantity at this point
does the ABS & TCS(traction control sensor) lights come together..............If so more than likely its an electronic sensor in one of the hubs.............. Witch means you will have to replace one or both front hubs.............
Old 12-27-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
tenny

nope, no lights in the dash come on.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
ABS kicking in in slush is not unheard of, but if the low trac light is not coming on its a concern (not sure if the '04 has this or not). Does the ABS kick in on dry pavement under slight braking? If it is Take it in and have it looked at.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #5
tenny

no it wont come on if the pavement is completely dry, but it takes very little slush for it to come on, does not even have to be icy and its to the point that the car WONT stop. It's parked for now and i'm driving my gf's Sunfire since she does not need it. Was hoping to fix it myself, think i'm going to try replacing pads and rotors all around and see if that does it.

only time my low trac light comes on is if i spin the tires from a start, i've never seen it come on under any stopping conditions.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Yeah once I though about that the low-trac is traction control, mine never comes on, its err disabled

It doesn't take much for the ABS to come on. NOT stopping could be several things. Do the pads make a grinding like they are going? The hubs typically throw a light when those are bad. Check your fluid. Won't hurt to do your pads and rotors but they usually make noise. It stops fine when the ABS does not come in would indicate that the ABS itself has an issue. Start with fuses. from there I'm not sure what/ how to check things. Good luck, let us know what it is if you find out.