Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-01-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
bigd6983

was driving to work this morning and ses light came on, when i got to work i checked the code and it was 442, which is Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak). has anyone else hit this code and what did you do to fix it?? it says check my gas cap but im sure its on there but ill give it another check, i had a little trouble with my fpr leaking a tiny bit of fuel, but i thought i got that fixed. any suggestions id appreciate it. thanks
Old 09-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
misslindseysue

Yeah, I've thrown that code twice. Once it was the gas cap, once it was the EGR valve.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
alerochick242

I've had it happen twice before, both times it was the gas cap... just take it off and then put it back on making sure it is on correctly. It takes a right good while for the light to go off.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
clean the gasket on ur gas cap.. that should help
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
bigd6983

i gave that a try, during a 40 minutes drive home it still didnt shut off.......like i said earlier i did have that fuel leak problem, any other suggestions? i mean i dont smell fuel like i did before, but the problem went away without me doing anything so i dunno.........
Old 09-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
it prolly wont shut off go to autozone they can reset it with the scanner they use it wont shut off its self
Old 09-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #7
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
it will shut off, depending maybe on the year of the car..........but if the car detects that the problem is gone the lgith dissapears, sometimes it takes a while.......trust me all my lights go off if the problem is fixed.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:01 PM   #8
bigd6983

ive heard different...........but when my ses light went off cause i accidentally put in 87 octane when i normally do 89, it came on the shut off after all the 87 went through.....so i dunno
Old 09-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #9
misslindseysue

If it's something like the gas cap, it's not how long you drive, it's the number of key cycles it goes through before it'll reset. If I were you I'd check the gas cap just to be sure (it really doesn't have to be off by much, trust me), then go to AutoZone and have them reset it. If it comes back on you'll know it's something else.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:01 AM   #10
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
lindsey is right, it's supposed to shut off after 3 full faultless cycles.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #11
misslindseysue

I can never remember which codes are how many cycles. My neighbors probably think I'm on crack. I'll be sitting in the driveway starting the car, running it for a minute, and shutting it off 10 times in a row then yelling "Damn it, hard code!" Softer: "Honey can you bring your scan tool home and fix my f***ing car?"
Old 09-02-2005, 08:33 PM   #12
bigd6983

well i checked out my gas cap, i dont know if this would be considered bad but there were cracks all the way around the o-ring so i decided i would just replace it......i will see if that was the problem but i dont think it was enough to bring on the ses light