Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-30-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
ppratt

Well I know everyone here has a issue with thier chips in thier paint if the alero is used much. Well my problem is right before my rear tires my paint is almost gone. It sarts at the bottum of the car and goes up about 9 inches or so and it's about 2 and half inches wide and tapers off at the top. I have mud guards on the car. They were on the car when I bought it. It had paint missing then but not this bad, and the car only had a little over 11k when I bought it. I will post a pick as soon as it gets done raining. Has anyone had this problem I have never seen a car this bad.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:16 AM   #2
misslindseysue

I have a few chips there, but it's not as bad as you're describing. I haven't really checked to see if it's been slowed by the addition of my spash guards, but I was hoping that would be the case when I put them on.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
ppratt

OK here's the pic I know it's dirty but the white right before the wheels is not dirt that is where my paint is missing. The door is not effected thats just dirt from the road.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:03 PM   #4
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
i dont know if the splash guards would do much for that then...
Old 12-30-2003, 05:10 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I have a lot of paint chipping but it's on the hood. It drives me nuts because I bought the touch-up paint from GM and it still looks like crap issed:

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:23 AM   #6
husker_dude_95

My paint is chipping too spose to get it fixed soon i hope
Old 12-31-2003, 07:38 AM   #7
bdyman

ok, the only prob is the car was repainted and what ur seein is just a badly preped panel to where the paint is just flakin off
factory paint only from the early 80`s to the middle of the 90`s would the paint de-lamp
ur case just a bad paint job
Old 12-31-2003, 08:12 AM   #8
ppratt

Quote:
Originally posted by bdyman@Dec 31 2003, 12:38 PM
ok, the only prob is the car was repainted and what ur seein is just a badly preped panel to where the paint is just flakin off
factory paint only from the early 80`s to the middle of the 90`s would the paint de-lamp
ur case just a bad paint job
I would like to think that is true, but both sides are like that. Their both a mirror image of each other.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:17 AM   #9
bdyman

and that`s fine
gm in the late 90`s afte watchin every car`s paint job flake off switched back to the urathene paint and to ppg
what is happening to ur car is a bad paint job but hey don`t listen to some one that has been fixin cars since 1990
:thumbsup:
Old 12-31-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
ppratt

Quote:
Originally posted by bdyman@Dec 31 2003, 01:17 PM
and that`s fine
gm in the late 90`s afte watchin every car`s paint job flake off switched back to the urathene paint and to ppg
what is happening to ur car is a bad paint job but hey don`t listen to some one that has been fixin cars since 1990
:thumbsup:
Seems like you and I got our info crossed. I thought you were implying that my car was repainted. I do have to agree with you on the poopty paint from GM. I thought GM fixed that before 2000. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:57 AM   #11
3400SFI

My clearcoat is peeling off like crazy on my rear drivers side door. Its pissing me off like nothing man. Sometimes I hate GM.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:58 AM   #12
3400SFI

Hey I just remembered I'm a newbie again. That sucks.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:24 PM   #13
bdyman

My clearcoat is peeling off like crazy on my rear drivers side door. Its pissing me off like nothing man. Sometimes I hate GM.

^^^^^dude!!! dude!!!! gm fixed the prob back in the 90`s!! now ur car was repainted!!!! gm uses ppg urathene base and clear and sealer
ur car is not a 94 or 95 or 96 back then would peel but now now
Old 01-02-2004, 08:12 AM   #14
ppratt

Do you think my car was repainted also? I can't say my paint is peeling. It does look like little chips. Hell I don't know, I just wish I could find a way to stop it. I was thinking to get it repainted and put some type of clear guard on it.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:51 AM   #15
nex

i got the same problem i got so many rock chips there and on my hood. gm paintjobs suck dink! When I save up more im gonna get my car re-sprayed a nice thick coat.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #16
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
my 99's paint is fine except for the fropnt bummper all types of litte black spots the previous owners most not of knoen where their garage eneded.
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 12:03 PM   #17
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
you are supposed to have a clear plastic sick on cover over that section where your paint is missing.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:44 PM   #18
bdyman

paint peels cuz` of one prob`:
poor prep job!!!
ya it sounds like it was repainted...factory paint does not just flake any more
gm paint jobs are just fine
there is no "coating" to protect paint from flakin or chippin, preping the panel right will make the paint last
knowing the paint system also helps mixin any product wrong will give poor results
a paint job when measured with a paint mic should measure out to 2 to 3 mill`s thick
no more no less
painting is a art form and you have to know what you are doin
or what is haping to ur car is the result
Old 01-02-2004, 09:32 PM   #19
alero(hed)

the only place on mine that has probelms is right on the front of the hood above the passenger side headlight... it's real small but there are 3 spots... i guess from rocks or something... the rest of it seems fine... besides the occasional dings in the biatch
Old 01-03-2004, 10:24 AM   #20
3.4Alero

I do not believe ppratt's paint is peeling. I have the same problem. It looks like it has been sand blasted just in front of both rear wheels. When I get mine painted this spring, I am going to get the 3M clear bra plastic and cover the area. Mud guards do not help this. It is caused by the shape of the car.