Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Justy311
GL Member

Justy311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need some advice/help

So I recently have been noticing a grinding noise coming from my brakes, I assumed it to be in the front due to it getting louder when I was braking and turning. I brought it to the local Tires Plus and paid $500 to get the rear brakes replaced.

After I drove it home the noise started right back up again. So I brought it back and after they looked at everything I was informed that it is a caliper issue and in order to stop the noise the calipers need to be replaced. Which wouldn't be cheap.

I am curious to know why I wasn't told from the beginning that the calipers needed to be replaced and what might cause this noise exactly as no one really knew. The manager said that the noise is the brakes grinding against the rotors, which is normal and the should go away after a while of driving. I was also told this isn't a concern and not to worry about it as everything is running as it should, will just be annoying.

What does everyone think?

justin

www.justinspolicecollection.com
Justy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
CharleyO99Alero
GL Member

CharleyO99Alero is on a distinguished road

I think you got raped as $500 is too much just to replace the pads. I take it you have rear disc brakes since you mention calipers.

CharleyO99Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
Justy311
GL Member

Yeah I have rear disc brakes. I think I got raped too, but I have no clue what to ask to see what is causing the problem. It cost $245 for replacing the pads and do some lube thing, could look over the recepit tomorrow if anyone wants to know, then $245 for labor.

I was reading in another post about the bearings going on another car, how is a sure fire way to check this?

Justin

Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
If it is a bearing it will make noise all the time. Brakes will only make noise when you apply them. How loud is it? You took it in the ass on that brake job. I would say that if they are actually being honest and it is a caliper issue that i believe it but judging from their prices these guys are trying to take you for a ride. I can't really help more than that unless i can drive the car. Sorry.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Justy311
GL Member

It makes noise all the time and gets louder the faster I go. I honestly don't think it is a caliper issue as I didn't have problems with them before I brought it in, and then all of a sudden I do and will cost a lot of money to fix.

I would say the noise is pretty loud, like to the point of going insane. It reminds me of when I was a kid and would turn my bike over and put stuff on the spinnning tire. Gives off the same type of noise. I don't know if that is the bearings making noise, but I really dislike going to this place.

Justin

Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Rotors warped. Mine make annoying repetitive noises, warped so bad the pad hits the rotor when not even braking.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy311 View Post
I was informed that it is a caliper issue and in order to stop the noise the calipers need to be replaced. Which wouldn't be cheap.
If they were talking about the rear calipers... what the hell did they "replace" with that $500 of yours?

Calipers are about $60 each. (For the front) Cheaper for the rear, AFAIK. Cost me $93 with tax to get a new caliper and have it installed.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Justy311
GL Member

I will take a look at the recepit today and write down exactly what they did. I think they replaced the rotors now that I think of it. I will check that out in a little bit.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Justy311
GL Member

Alright, the recepit says that I got:

Organic Disc Brake Pad: 1 @ $89.99
Brake Rotor Only - Rear - Premium: 2 @ 59.06
Shop Supplies: $37.01
Mechanic Diagnosic: $18.95
Reline Rear Brake Linings: $159.56
Clean and Lube Front Slides: $68.21

All of that done for $507.77.

If I want to stop the noise, I have to replace the calipers. The mechanic said the calipers are vibrating causing the noise, something to do with the slides. To get them replaced it'll be around $300+labor, each caliper will cost me $125 or so.

What do you guys think?

Justin

Old 04-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

They supposedly cleaned and lubed the front slides, which are supposedly making the noise, but cleaning and lubing them would fix that..?

WTF @ prices for minimal work... "re line the linings"? Lol. What exactly are these "linings" he is re-lining on your brand new pads and rotors? And for $160? Organic brake pad, for $90? You're taking it in hard.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
Justy311
GL Member

I just have no clue. There really isn't anywhere else I could bring my car either in this area, but what I can do...I don't want my calipers to fall off going 70 down the highway. So I would rather pay then deal with it later on.

I plan on selling it when I get a job and buying a 07 of 08 Dodge Charger police model. It is getting the job that is holding me back.

Thanks for the comments guys, it is appreciated!

Justin

Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy311 View Post
I just have no clue. There really isn't anywhere else I could bring my car either in this area, but what I can do...I don't want my calipers to fall off going 70 down the highway. So I would rather pay then deal with it later on.

I plan on selling it when I get a job and buying a 07 of 08 Dodge Charger police model. It is getting the job that is holding me back.

Thanks for the comments guys, it is appreciated!

Justin
Impersonating a police officer is a serious offense and punishable by a lot of time behind bars...........................Unless you can get me out of tickets then all is good. Good luck with your car!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

WTF @ prices for minimal work... "re line the linings"?

thats exactly what i was thinking when i read that. looks like they had 2.5hrs worth of extra pay, added to the 6 minute job it'd take to clean and lube the front slides.

and i don't even KNOW wtf "reline rear brake linings" means.... that mean found some mysterious lining on the brakes, and realigned it for you? or maybe they just put some wd40 on the entire assembly and raped you while they were doing it.

wow... i've seen some sh*t done by mechanics... but that takes the bait.

you paid them about $220 to clean and lube your brakes, to which costs about $20 for enough supplies to do 15 brake jobs, and about 5 minutes per side.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
Justy311
GL Member

That makes me angry, but what it comes down to is that I just cannot afford to pay for a new car. My Alero has around 64,000 miles, but since I f-ed up the guages I bought a new cluster so that spiked my mileage up to 82,000.

I plan on getting a new car soon, within the next 2 years but a wedding, house, vacations...I might have to hang on to the Alero for a while.

lonnie, check out my website. I am aware of many laws when it comes to impersonating a police officer. The key here is they have to prove you are, for example, that moron who tried to pull over another cop: http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/112039. He was caught red handed.
Oh well...I appreciate the responses and will definitely use it when it comes to repairs. I will also ask what "reline rear brakes" means and let everyone know.

Justin

Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #15
Justy311
GL Member

After getting raped, I got raped again. The noise I was hearing was the bearings going. No one at the place checked into that. I got a phone call saying the calipers were going to cost $500+ and that the mechanic noticed a whining noise associated with faulty bearings, no shi-.

So another $500 and currently up to $1500 to get the the Alero fixed, I am all out pissed off. I mentioned how pissed I was to the Manager and he knocked off a whopping $187 off the bill, but still. Three different occasions three different mechanics and no one noticed this...who the hell is fixing our cars!

thats my rant and to top it off, he couldn't tell me what the "reline rear brake linings" meant. I give up...I will be stuck with this car for at least another year...

Thanks for all the feedback and comments. I am coming here before I bring it to a mechanic!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:51 AM   #16
CharleyO99Alero
GL Member

CharleyO99Alero is on a distinguished road

I really feel sorry for you, Justy, but let this be a lesson learned ... albeit, a very expensive lesson!

CharleyO99Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:58 AM   #17
Justy311
GL Member

I have done worse. Before I had my Alero, I drove a 1990 Plymouth Voyager SE mini-van. I blew the tranny four times or five times, got new struts, exhaust, brakes, and an oil change only to find there was metal flakes in the oil. This happened within a 5 month period. I eventually sold it for $2,000 and bought the Alero with some inheritance money. I love the car, just needs a little TLC and fixing up. Hopefully some car part places around here have the parts I need.

Thanks for the concern, but I think I will be alright in the long run...still have a decent running car, and my DRL and auto headlight remover still works, when that goes, I will sell it...best money I have ever spent!

Justin

Last edited by Justy311 : 04-18-2008 at 03:47 AM.