Old 03-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
jrim
GL Member

jrim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
alright. this is the easy part.

you definitely want to solder it. you can do a "T" joint, strip the wire, wrap the 2nd wire around the stripped part, and solder it. just be sure to give it a good covering of tape.

making a "ground" is simply connecting the black wire off your new gauges, to any connection that will go to the body of the car.

Personally, i use the center console cubby light, as my "night power" source. Connect power to the GRAY wire and your ground to the BLACK wire.

Project is done.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they are designed to be on all the time though (or at least wired to an always-on wire), there's a dimmer that runs to the gauges, which I snaked down through a small opening under the steering wheel. I'd prefer that I have them to a wire that's always on, not the cubby light which comes on depending on if my lights are on.

Okay, 2 solders, I can do that. I can find any black wire and use that for my ground? Can the cigarette lighter wire be found from the gauge cluster area or do I need to pop the console off?